Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New broadheads, they any good? >

New broadheads, they any good?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New broadheads, they any good?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a lot of broadheads in what I call "the old days" (back in the 70's). After all the heads (and I do mean several) I landed on the Thunderhead 100's and they have been my head since that time. I have killed deer, bear, foxes, and turkeys with the Thunderheads and they are tough enough to reuse with blade changes. Recently, I have found the blades not to be as sharp as in the past but they still do their job. They fly exactly with my field points out of my last 3 bows, 2 PSE's and a Mathews. You'll like them.

Jim
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
I have shot a lot of broadheads in what I call "the old days" (back in the 70's). After all the heads (and I do mean several) I landed on the Thunderhead 100's and they have been my head since that time. I have killed deer, bear, foxes, and turkeys with the Thunderheads and they are tough enough to reuse with blade changes. Recently, I have found the blades not to be as sharp as in the past but they still do their job. They fly exactly with my field points out of my last 3 bows, 2 PSE's and a Mathews. You'll like them.

Jim
thanks, i hope they fly right my bow shoots 310 fps, im guessing yours is like 330 with matthews and pse's. i think speed and the veins have the most impact on how they fly? i have 2 inch blazers so hopefully that gives enough stabilizatrion for them to fly right
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

HuntingKid,
If they don't work send them my way. Mine have always shot great (100 gr).

Jim
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
I tried them, didnt like the way they shot, went to Muzzy next and have been shooting them for the last 18 years. Muzzy makes a great broadhead that shoots great, I never had the need to try anything else.
Respectivly Disagree, I lost a nice 4-4 mulie because of muzzy 3-blades.
Went through both lungs and no blood trail at all. My bro was watching me through his binos and saw the whole hunt we both still cannot believe it.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New broadheads

are made for archers who have already bought ten different kinds of broadheads and never could find the right one.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Respectivly Disagree, I lost a nice 4-4 mulie because of muzzy 3-blades.
Went through both lungs and no blood trail at all. My bro was watching me through his binos and saw the whole hunt we both still cannot believe it.
Sorry to hear that. I personally have never used the three bladed Muzzy's, dont know much about them. I have only used the four bladed 90gr. and 100gr. Muzzy's, I have never lost a animal and have killed numerous deer, elk, and bear over the years. I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Muzzy's that I have used, I have never even considered trying anything else.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I use to use thunderheads way back in the 80s when they came out. The newer looking models are pretty much the same as the older ones (have a buddy that still uses them). They are like any head, if they are tuned, they will shoot like a dart. The trick is to get the blades set right so there is no wobble. Something not exclusive to thunderheads, but is the only set back, if you want to call it a set back. I have killed more animals then I can remember with thunderheads. Ive used them with recurves, longbows, and compounds. Never had an issue with them. They will do as well as any three blade head provided your arrow and bow are all tuned right.