Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New broadheads, they any good? >

New broadheads, they any good?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New broadheads, they any good?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I like them, and have had no problems with them. Good basic heads that fly and penetrate great as long as your bow is tuned properly.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
I like them, and have had no problems with them. Good basic heads that fly and penetrate great as long as your bow is tuned properly.
i do not have a target that is ment for broadheads, is there a way to make a make shift one because you said you have to tune your bow properly
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

love the thunderheads have always shot the 100 grn great penatration and even had pass throughs very good broadheads you wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i do not have a target that is ment for broadheads, is there a way to make a make shift one because you said you have to tune your bow properly
with any fixed head, you have to BH tune the bow. That means BH target.

Back in the day, I used to get these canvas bags and fill them with old cut up denim, like jean material. It stopped the heads, and I saw where I was hitting.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
with any fixed head, you have to BH tune the bow. That means BH target.

Back in the day, I used to get these canvas bags and fill them with old cut up denim, like jean material. It stopped the heads, and I saw where I was hitting.
once i used a carboard box filled with a couple blankets, but my deer target is pretty shot out so do youthink i would be able to shoot a couple in there?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Is it always possible to tune your bow to put broadheads and target points in the same spot?

My bow was sighted in for field points, and the broadheads were hitting 6 inches left at 20 yards. So I called a pro archery shop, and they said adjust the arrow rest. I asked why this would make the broadheads hit in the same spot as the field points, and they said "it is hard to explain but it just does." So I did what they said, and now my broadheads are on target but my field points are off six inches to the right at 20 yards, just like I figured they would be.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why I like Muzzys, my 100gr. feild points hit the exact same spot as my 100gr. Muzzys. Shot Muzzys the last 18 years, several different bows with the same results.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed dozens of deer with Thunderheads. They are a great heads as most NAP broadheads are.

Enjoy!

Dan
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Is it always possible to tune your bow to put broadheads and target points in the same spot?

My bow was sighted in for field points, and the broadheads were hitting 6 inches left at 20 yards. So I called a pro archery shop, and they said adjust the arrow rest. I asked why this would make the broadheads hit in the same spot as the field points, and they said "it is hard to explain but it just does." So I did what they said, and now my broadheads are on target but my field points are off six inches to the right at 20 yards, just like I figured they would be.
Are your field points and BH the same weight? Same arrow etc?

The reason you move the rest is because the arrow isn't leaving the bow in a straight line, with field points, the fletc corrects this quickly, with BH, the blades fight the vanes so the arrow stays more on the line you start it on.

If you are hitting to the left with BH it means you arrow is coming off the bow pointing to the left, so you have to move your rest towards the field point (right) VERY slightly. This will effect both impact points of field points and BH. however they should not be closer together. If so, do it again. If not, put it back.

All this assume you are not getting fletch contact with the rest and are getting a clean release, and the arrows are properly spined.

to your original question, thunderheads are great, tried and true and pretty easy to get to fly right with field points.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot 125 gr. and 100 gr. Thunderheads and love them. I have also found if I shoot 125 gr. field pts with 100 gr. broadhead, the arrows have the same point of impact. Don't know why but it has worked with my last two bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.