HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who here hunts small game with there bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/336702-who-here-hunts-small-game-there-bow.html)

_zink_ 12-20-2010 06:42 AM

Who here hunts small game with there bow

1 Attachment(s)
Who here hunts small game with there bow like squirrels and rabbits.
Please list your game type, bow type and tip.

I shoot squirrels with my parker sidekick xp
i shoot one with a broadhead, and one with a feild tip. The feild tip one ran up a tree and the arrow fell out of his side. The Mx-4 broadhead one....... well ill let you see for yourself.

Im gona try the Eastman Outfitters™ Shocker Small Game Point and see how they work cause i need something that will kill them (unlike feild tip) but not destroy half the meat (like broadhead).

Terasec 12-20-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by _zink_ (Post 3744580)

Im gona try the Eastman Outfitters™ Shocker Small Game Point and see how they work cause i need something that will kill them (unlike feild tip) but not destroy half the meat (like broadhead).

same dilemna,
I bow rabbits and squirrels,
i use field tips as broadheads damages too much of the meat,
been looking for good small game point to use.

MISwampDog 12-20-2010 09:09 AM

Do chipmunks count? I have shot most small critters with my bow. try using the G5 S.M.H. I think it works great.

halfbakedi420 12-20-2010 09:13 AM

i use these tips that look like a meat tenderizer for the blunt end, screws on my arrow like any other field tip..basically just the impact kills them, no penetration. came with this set up i got....there are a handful of different ones

JakeGrice 12-20-2010 02:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I enjoy small game hunting with a bow during all seasons. When i squirell hunt I prefer a compound ( darton vapor) with judo tips. I simply find a place in the woods with heavy acorns and squirell sign ( nests, chattering, etc.) and stand up against a tree and wait. This way I can use three tree to hind behind if a squirrell sneaks up behind me. Chipmunks I sometimes hunt just for fun and the extreme challenge with my longbow. Ill use custiom wood arrows or sometimes carbons like in the pic I uploaded and I'll stand and wait next to an old wood pile or near a brush pile. Once a chipmunk comes out to feed I stick it with a blunt. I also prefer longbow hunting rabbits with either field tips or sometimes blunted smallgame heads. For rabbits (when im alone) I stalk a brush pile and get close enough to see into the brush. More times then not the rabbit will just lay down in the brush and won't move once you get within a few yards of it because it doesnt know what to do. This is when I quick draw and stick an arrow through it. I have hit rabbits on the run with my longbow but have only wounded rabbits this way. (broken legs, cuts, etc.) I actually stalked up on an opposum this year in my back yard after dark and stuck it through the ribs with wooden arrows...ran 5 yards and gave up and quickly died. Small game hunting with a bow is a great time and gives the animals a chance.

Attachment 14863

Attachment 14864

Attachment 14865

Attachment 14866

Attachment 14867

blakefrautschi 12-20-2010 04:25 PM

Ivve shot a few squirrels here and there with judo;s

AK NIMROD 12-20-2010 07:48 PM

hunting small game is a blast, Ptarmigan with my black widow recurve is my favorite i use judo points.

#2 quarry is northern pike

snowshoe hares are alway fun when they are plentiful. usually stop at 2
ducks are fun but tough quarry

JakeGrice 12-21-2010 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
managed to take this bunny this evening with my river raisen longbow. Stalked some brush really sneaky and got within 4 yards of him while he was layin in some weeds and brush. First shot hit him a little far back and he took a few hops and I hit him with a second arrow that silenced the struggle. Used hexhead game heads and predator carbon arrows.

Attachment 14881

Attachment 14882

monkeyman2269 12-21-2010 06:58 PM

bowfishing for pike

JakeGrice 12-21-2010 08:14 PM

Its legal when they spawn I believe. Could be wrong...