HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   reepers or rage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/336160-reepers-rage.html)

jwsfitter 12-12-2010 04:11 PM

reepers or rage

I have been shooting 2 blade 100 gr rages. the first deer I shot did not pass thru. I am pulling 70 lbs so I can rule that out. I have been thinking about trying the Grim Reepers 100 gr. Have any of you tried them and if you have what do you think of them?

pearsontx4 12-12-2010 04:43 PM

i have been hearing that a lot i shoot 2 blade 100 grain rage and pull 65 pounds and have never had a problem with them not passing thru both deer i shot this year have been pass threws and every other deer i have ever shot has been a pass threw

kateraxl2381 12-12-2010 04:49 PM

I have never shot a rage, but I've heard good things about them..I shoot the GrimReaper Razortips and the penetration is really good..Have had pass throughs on all of the deer that I have shot with them..Good blood trails too

SecondChance 12-12-2010 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have shot over 37 animals with the 100grn GrimReapers and have not lost one!!!!!! I have never had one travel over 100yds!!!!! In the attached photo, when I took this ram it was an 1-3/8"ths short of the World Record for Catalina Rams. I have on video it traveling 45 yds and rolling over!!
The buck over my right shoulder was taken here in So. Il and field dressed at 243# on an electronic certified scale and was spined at 19yds from above and the broadhead penetrated 8" into the cavity with no damage except breaking one blade. The other buck was taken here at 21yds and penetrated both shoulders with no damage at all!!!! I do not and will not own any other broadhead as long as I can get GR's. I have another dz. on the wall waiting for their chance to draw blood. I still am using 7 of the original 12 I bought 5 years ago. I have guys who went to the Rages and have since came back due to failure of the Rages, 2 and 3 blade.

stabnslab_WI 12-13-2010 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 3739706)
was spined at 19yds from above and the broadhead penetrated 8" into the cavity with no damage except breaking one blade

So there was no damage but you broke a blade? Hmmm.....and you shot 30+ animals and still using all the same heads? Good for you!!

burniegoeasily 12-13-2010 08:34 AM

Tune your bow and go fixed. Mechanicals are a quick "fix" for a poor tuned bow.

Have I used them? yep. Ive used just about every brand (testing them on wild hogs) and have yet to be impressed by any of them. Rage was not a bad one, but still did not penetrate as well as any fixed cut on contact head.

SecondChance 12-13-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI (Post 3740025)
So there was no damage but you broke a blade? Hmmm.....and you shot 30+ animals and still using all the same heads? Good for you!!

You are correct. I consider something like that to not be damaged. It is an acceptable loss. If you were to try that same thing with any other expandable, you will more than likely experience much more damage to total failure!!!!! I currently have the remaining 7 loaded on string bullets and are awaiting their launch schedule!!!!!!! Of the 5 that are gone, 2 are on the mounts in the pic, 1 was lost, and 2 are in trees!!!!!!!

SecondChance 12-13-2010 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily (Post 3740099)
Tune your bow and go fixed. Mechanicals are a quick "fix" for a poor tuned bow.

Have I used them? yep. Ive used just about every brand (testing them on wild hogs) and have yet to be impressed by any of them. Rage was not a bad one, but still did not penetrate as well as any fixed cut on contact head.

You used the GrimReapers Razor Cut? They use the same Trocar tip as Muzzy. My bow is by far from poorly tuned!!! I have a rep for Mathews do all of my bow tuning and I shoot a Mathews Q2. Not the newest, but it has killed everything I have connected with!! Bullet holes with broadhead at 10 feet. I don't feel that is poorly tuned!! All my arrows weigh from 407grn to 410grns with 100 grn broadhead and add Luma-nock add 21 grns to each. Thats gives me a 78 lbs of energy from a 65# draw weight on a 29-1/2" draw length.

tim03b 12-14-2010 06:36 AM

LOst my first deer with a bow due to grim reapers. The arrow deflected on the deer causing no penetration. Switched to slick tricks and killed another doe. Than i went to the rage and killed my second biggest buck this year. The hole was big enough to put my fist into it. Sorry but i would never shot an over the top expandable. To much risk in doing so.

Hurricanespg 12-14-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tim03b (Post 3740785)
LOst my first deer with a bow due to grim reapers. The arrow deflected on the deer causing no penetration......Sorry but i would never shot an over the top expandable. To much risk in doing so.

I have a hard time believing that.

To the op Grim Reapers (like any other broadhead) will do the job if you do yours.
I have shot everything from deer, to elk, moose, bear, etc. with the Grim Reapers Razortips with no problems.