Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

reepers or rage

Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by steve25
I was getting pass throughs with the reapers with an old PSE Nova. So using the speed of the bow is less relevant than having head that takes alot less ke or momentum to open and in that the reaper are far better than the rages.

As far as the conditions you posted all are subjective if a bow is tuned right with a good quality fixed head then all those things are irrelevant because heads like the slick tricks and a few others do not plane like lesser quality fixed heads. The vanes or feathers are what stabilizes the arrows. It would have to be a down right terrible shot due to form for your conditions to come into play.

And if you get your form that out of wack when shooting at game then that shot should NEVER be taken, period!!!!! Nothing good can come from it!!!!!!

I have done alot of experimenting on all weather conditions with various degrees of hand torque added in and in only one of test did the expandable out perform the fixed heads I tried but it was only by 1".

That is when I decided through my own testing that there is no benefit in shooting expendables and all they do is cut down on penetration.

Sorry, but that is head in the sand analogy. Just because your bow is tuned perfect does not mean it's going to fly true if any of thoses above problems happen. I'm not talking standing in your backyard when it's 70 degrees. I'm talking 35degrees with 20mph winds in a treestand with a deer that's is alert over your opposite shooting shoulder so you can't get in the perfect position and you need to duck down a little to shot below a limb that's in the way of the vitals. Yeah, none of that is going to affect the shot?

Also, old style, over the top expandables are better? Blades that have to completely flip over to open and start cutting makes sense to you? and seems a better way than simply sliding back? and you think the Rage uses more KE to open? I guess to each their own.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
Sorry, but that is head in the sand analogy. Just because your bow is tuned perfect does not mean it's going to fly true if any of thoses above problems happen. I'm not talking standing in your backyard when it's 70 degrees. I'm talking 35degrees with 20mph winds in a treestand with a deer that's is alert over your opposite shooting shoulder so you can't get in the perfect position and you need to duck down a little to shot below a limb that's in the way of the vitals. Yeah, none of that is going to affect the shot?

Also, old style, over the top expandables are better? Blades that have to completely flip over to open and start cutting makes sense to you? and seems a better way than simply sliding back? and you think the Rage uses more KE to open? I guess to each their own.
To an actually ethical hunter, this would be a no brainer. If we feel the need to make risky shots, maybe it would be better to put down the bow and just carry a rifle. I am just saying.

There's something to be said, to just let an animal walk another day. Your a hunter that most likely is not life and death if you don't take a shot on an animal. Your trying to challenge yourself. Your situation is prime example of this.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Can you not read my post and the testing I done??????

I done tests in all types of weather, positions and purposely induced hand torque from on extreme to the other. And as I stated only on one test the expendables win and it was only like 1".

So I don't feel that is, as you put it a "head in the sand" opinion! It was based on FACTS that I got doing my own testing.

And before you or anyone says it I know I am not a machine and could not replicate each shot from head to head but when I am shooting out in the woods or back yard in isn't a machine doing it then either.

I just love how people read just a section of your post and try to rip you just because of one sentence, instead of taking the time to read the whole thing. Talk about someone with there "head in the sand".

And as BC said if you have to take shots in those contorted position why not let the animal walk????? Not very ethical is it to make those kind of shots?????

Last edited by steve25; 12-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Talk about not reading everything.

I never said a contorted, impossible position. Unethical?
35 degree
20mph wind
heavy clothes
tough stance

This is an everday position hunters get into while hunting in the real world. I'll throw in adrenaline rushing on a 170" 10pt

Also, you can go by all your "facts" about wind, torque, bad release, heavy clothes, bad form, tough shooting position not affecting the flight of an arrow but you're living in a fantasy. Every one of those will affect a shot and it will affect a fixed more because of the blades. The larger the diameter of the fixed blade the more the arrow is affected. If not we (some) would be shooting 1 1/2- 2" fixed heads.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Spike

I use the hades, and 2" White-tail Specials, and let me tell you they work great. I have friends that swear by Rage, and myself and father that swear by Grim Reapers. Grime Reaper broadheads did this:

You be the judge...

I've had successful pass thru's and I had bone crunching stopping power too. So It's your call, but either way both are good! (Reapers are BETTER!)

Last edited by Buckmeister82; 12-20-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 AM
bigcountry

Talk about not reading everything.

I never said a contorted, impossible position. Unethical?
35 degree
20mph wind
heavy clothes
tough stance

This is an everday position hunters get into while hunting in the real world. I'll throw in adrenaline rushing on a 170" 10pt

Also, you can go by all your "facts" about wind, torque, bad release, heavy clothes, bad form, tough shooting position not affecting the flight of an arrow but you're living in a fantasy. Every one of those will affect a shot and it will affect a fixed more because of the blades. The larger the diameter of the fixed blade the more the arrow is affected. If not we (some) would be shooting 1 1/2- 2" fixed heads.
Hmm, interesting. I guess if you have trouble with all these, your going to need all the help you can get.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Hmm, interesting. I guess if you have trouble with all these, your going to need all the help you can get.

What's so interesting??

Again, didn't say you have to have trouble with all these to affect arrow flight.

I'll ask you, and it's simple yes or no questions. Please just answer yes or no.

1. Does torgue on the bow affect arrow flight?

2. Does a bad release affect arrow flight?

3. Does windy conditions affect arrow flight?

4. Can cold weather with heavy clothes affect your form which inevitably affects your arrow flight?

5. Arrows will be affected more with a fixed head than a mechanical with the above problems?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
bigcountry

What's so interesting??

Again, didn't say you have to have trouble with all these to affect arrow flight.

I'll ask you, and it's simple yes or no questions. Please just answer yes or no.

1. Does torgue on the bow affect arrow flight?

2. Does a bad release affect arrow flight?

3. Does windy conditions affect arrow flight?

4. Can cold weather with heavy clothes affect your form which inevitably affects your arrow flight?

5. Arrows will be affected more with a fixed head than a mechanical with the above problems?

I assume you mean "torque"? Yes, all of these above affects arrow flight and if one feels the need to use a mechanical to overcome these, they have more problems I would suggest another hunting season than archery season.

I mean, anyone could write the same with a comparison of a gun and bow at bowhunting distances and come to the conclusion, only a gun is a reasonable weapon. Which is wrong.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I assume you mean "torque"? Yes, all of these above affects arrow flight and if one feels the need to use a mechanical to overcome these, they have more problems I would suggest another hunting season than archery season.

I mean, anyone could write the same with a comparison of a gun and bow at bowhunting distances and come to the conclusion, only a gun is a reasonable weapon. Which is wrong.

So, you've never torqued your bow?
You never had a bad release?
You've never hunted in windy conditions?
You've never hunted in cold weather with heavy clothes?

So, you shoot perfect everytime? If so you are the only one out of the 3 million plus bowhunters that is "PERFECT"!

Again, never said any of these happen everytime, but I would guess everybody at one time or another have had one of the above problems happen to them on game.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
bigcountry

So, you've never torqued your bow?
You never had a bad release?
You've never hunted in windy conditions?
You've never hunted in cold weather with heavy clothes?
Tell ya what, your a strange one. I never said I haven't. Can you show me where I did? But what I will say, is I sure will not go back to a mech to get a marginal improvement with the greater risk of the wounding an animal. You seemed to try to make the arguement that mech overcomes torquing. And it does not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.