Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

reepers or rage

Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
You used the GrimReapers Razor Cut? They use the same Trocar tip as Muzzy. My bow is by far from poorly tuned!!! I have a rep for Mathews do all of my bow tuning and I shoot a Mathews Q2. Not the newest, but it has killed everything I have connected with!! Bullet holes with broadhead at 10 feet. I don't feel that is poorly tuned!! All my arrows weigh from 407grn to 410grns with 100 grn broadhead and add Luma-nock add 21 grns to each. Thats gives me a 78 lbs of energy from a 65# draw weight on a 29-1/2" draw length.
You have plenty of penetration. Better determination for penetration is foc as well as total weight. I am a custom bowyer. I like to test out new products. I have tested most new broadheads as they have come out. I have tried Grimreapers and rage as well as a whole lot of others. Again, they are all alike . They are not the truest on angle shots and pentration is always going to suffer due to the way they work. It is simply in the physics. penetration is no issue on animals like deer or hogs, but the angle shots could be an issue. I am also a firm believer in using what works for you. So if they work for you, thats great. I am very old school in my hunting, I am just one step above obsidian and flint heads, so I tend to like my stuff simple.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 12-14-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
I have a hard time believing that.

To the op Grim Reapers (like any other broadhead) will do the job if you do yours.
I have shot everything from deer, to elk, moose, bear, etc. with the Grim Reapers Razortips with no problems.

Not necessarily. I have had grim reapers deflect on a quarter away shot on a 150lb hog. Which is the shot you want to take on big hogs due to their shield, thick skin, and fat. But since this was a small hog, there was not an issue with the shield. Deflections are not uncommon with mechanicals.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Not necessarily. I have had grim reapers deflect on a quarter away shot on a 150lb hog. Which is the shot you want to take on big hogs due to their shield, thick skin, and fat. But since this was a small hog, there was not an issue with the shield. Deflections are not uncommon with mechanicals.
Deflections might not be uncommon with mechanicals (I would dispute that), but they are extremely uncommon with Grim Reapers due to their design.

Most problems associated with Grim Reapers...any mechanicals really.....are the fault of the nut behind the bow. Mechanicals just provide an easy scape goat.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Deflections might not be uncommon with mechanicals (I would dispute that), but they are extremely uncommon with Grim Reapers due to their design.

Most problems associated with Grim Reapers...any mechanicals really.....are the fault of the nut behind the bow. Mechanicals just provide an easy scape goat.
Hmmm, so you suggest I am a nut behind the bow????

Nice, because I have seen it twice on hogs. And I assure you, I know exactly what I am doing. been at this game since the 70s.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. I am nut behind the bow. The shot that didnt penetrate was a slight quartering shot. So what everyone is say makes sense. I picked up a pack of Grim Reaper Razortips. Cant wait to try them. Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tim03b
LOst my first deer with a bow due to grim reapers. The arrow deflected on the deer causing no penetration. Switched to slick tricks and killed another doe. Than i went to the rage and killed my second biggest buck this year. The hole was big enough to put my fist into it. Sorry but i would never shot an over the top expandable. To much risk in doing so.
Seems that GR disagree with you and have video of such to prove so. They take all of the top expandables on market as well as the top fixed and shoot it into 3/8ths Luan and 3/4" plywood. They shoot them at angles that you should have no business doing so. The GR's penetrated, nothing else did!!!!! They shot them into new steel drums for endurance, the GR's made it into the other side without failure, only some of the fixed did. None of the other expandables did.
I feel that you may have shot that animal at an angle much more than you should have or just plain missed the shot and slapped it with the shaft as it passed. Thus blaming it on the BH, being your first bow shot animal. GR's were designed to not deflect unless shot at angle that would not allow penetration regardless of what you were using unless it was powder driven. I have shot them at angles on deer just to test this and have not been dissatisfied as of yet.
I am not by any means saying that you are wrong with your decisions of what works for you or not, I am just saying that I go far above and beyond to ensure that ANY anilmal I shoot at is taken in the most humane way I can possibly do so. And I am saying that with over 37 animals with the same type of broadhead and no losses is nothing to sneeze at and no track job over 125yds. Besides, what other bow manufactor besides Mathews has the faith to put their name on a BH?

To jwsfitter, you will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-19-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm, so you suggest I am a nut behind the bow????

Nice, because I have seen it twice on hogs. And I assure you, I know exactly what I am doing. been at this game since the 70s.

Yes, you are a nut behind the bow. Be easy though, its not derogatory, its just an expression. Meaning that the person behind the bow is usually to blame.

I don't care if you know what you are doing or not, and I don't care how long you have been doing it. You are human (assumption), and therefore you make mistakes. It happens to all of us. Some people take responsibility for their actions, some people blame their equipment.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you are a nut behind the bow. Be easy though, its not derogatory, its just an expression. Meaning that the person behind the bow is usually to blame.

I don't care if you know what you are doing or not, and I don't care how long you have been doing it. You are human (assumption), and therefore you make mistakes. It happens to all of us. Some people take responsibility for their actions, some people blame their equipment.
Hmmm. I always thought the expression was the "indian behind the bow."

Grim Reapers are a devastating broadhead. They're extremely durable and if assembled and mounted correctly they're practically idiot-proof. I shot them for three years and had excellent results with one exception - absolutely lousy blood trails. I made some perfect shots, some great shots and some mediocre shots and not a single one of the 13 deer I killed with them left a decent blood trail. All of the shots were pass-throughs with the arrow sticking in the dirt, so I had an exit wound.

Compared to the Slick Tricks I switched to, the Grim Reapers come out of the package as dull as a butter knife. In my opinion, if Grim Reaper made their blades as sharp as Slick Trick does, they would have a perfect broadhead.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Not looking to get in a pissing contest, just pointing out my experience. Discount it all you want, no big deal. Just putting out what mine, and others testing have shown. Not trying to persuade anyone either way, just adding some input. I could care less. I make all my own bows and arrows. I have no need for mechanicals due to the fact I do not hunt with a compound. I do shot one from time to time, and do test products for different people and put in my two cents. They send heads, shafts ect. ect. and I see how I like them. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not looking to get in a pissing contest, just pointing out my experience.
Didn't mean to come across as rude...maybe its the way I type.
You are obviously free to relate your experience. I just happen to highly doubt that is the entirety of your experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.