HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My First Treestand--Need Help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/33604-my-first-treestand-need-help.html)

elknut1 07-20-2003 01:12 PM

My First Treestand--Need Help!

Hey Guys,

I' ve never owned or been in any type of treestasnd before. I' m planning on using it for elk hunting over a couple wallows or waterholes. It' ll be packed in with me and packed out when I leave for the evening.
The two I' m looking at are in the Cabelas Archery catalogue. They' re the" Hunters View Eagle Climber" or the " Shooting Star" both are in the 20# range, Both are climbers. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

I' m 5' 7" 158lbs if that makes any difference. Thanks--elknut1

PAHUNTER21 07-20-2003 01:31 PM

RE: My First Treestand--Need Help!

Any Hunters view stands that i have used are really bulky and don' t pack really well. Do you want a climber or a fixed position?

elknut1 07-20-2003 03:29 PM

The" Hunter" stand I' m looking at only weighs 20lbs. Yes I want it to be a climber so I don' t have to mess with pegs or stakes in the trees.
When you say they' re bulky, do you mean by size or weight. Since I' ve never owned a stand before, they all looked the same to me, other than weight. elknut1. Thanks

PAHUNTER21 07-20-2003 03:41 PM

In my experience with them..... I' m not real sure what stand your talking about exactly (i didn' t research it). ... The ones i have used have been pretty heavy and when packed on your back, they seem to be very awkward sticking out from your back about 12in to 18in. Since the one your talking about weighs 20lbs, that shouldn' t be too bad to carry. Before you buy one, check them out personally. Put it on your back and see how it feels. Are you going to be able to carry this stand to your tree or is your back going to be killing you by the time you get there? If you can get a proshop that carrys them, see if they have a pole or tree that you can climb to test it out. Another question to ask yourself since your not accustomed to stand hunting is: Do I feel safe in this stand? If the stand your looking at has the rail around you that should make it a bit better for your confidence but can get in your way when you shoot your bow if it isn' t setup properly. But seriously, get out there and test some out at the shop. See how easy each one is to set up. See if you think you can put it up in the dark without scaring everythign in a 5 mile radius. And if you have the money to purchase a higher quality stand like a summit, ole' man, or buckshot, go for it. The higher quality stand will be worth it in the end and will hold up much better than a lower end product.

Good luck
-BJ

VAhuntr 07-20-2003 04:13 PM

Look at the Lone Wolf series of climbers. They fold down to about 3 inches thick to backpack, are light, easy to use, and most of all stable. Summit climbing stands would be an excellent choice too. I have a couple of Hunters View hang on stands that are not very stable.....I would be hesitant to buy there products again.

MBuckH72 07-20-2003 04:42 PM

The summit tree stand is a great choice. I use there Viper Extreme xls. I never had a problem out of it. It is very quiet when climbing and is comfortable. I think it only weighs 23 pounds, but they make others that are lighter.

Legacy357 07-20-2003 05:38 PM

i hunt with a buckshot(not sure if thats still its name, might have been bought out). it is a bit bulky but u can buy treestand locks and leave it in the woods. it is a climber and one of the safest out there. just need to paint it in camo thats it cause its real grey

WESTANER 07-20-2003 11:05 PM

Both climbers you talk about are to bulky to pack into the mountains. I owned a climber for a day and took it from the tree strait back to the store. They need a limbless tree and are simply noisy climbing. The 2 things I liked about them is safety and comfort for long days. Try looking at the ol' man-multi-vision it looks comfortable and dosnt have a bar across the front to get in the way of shooting and it folds up flat for easy packing. Make sure you use it alot before season to get use to it . Good luck ;)

Cougar Mag 07-21-2003 12:00 AM

Especially your first climber, stay with a proven quality climbing stand. Lone Wolf, Summit, API, Loggy Bayou, Buckshot, Warren & Sweat, Ole Man, etc. Personally I am not fond of the Hunter' s View stands.

bullsi 07-21-2003 12:49 AM

I own a shooting star and 2 summits.If your walk is close and u want all day comfort go with the shooting star.If u got a long walk and comfort take the summit.