Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Spoiled hunt by my own hands. >

Spoiled hunt by my own hands.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spoiled hunt by my own hands.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spoiled hunt by my own hands.

I spent the better part of the summer watching this buck an finally eased my way in an hung a camera. I had day time pics of him as the temps started to ease up along with about 10 other bucks in the area. This was a picture from the middle of October.

The scrapes started getting hot in the area around the 1st week of November. on the evening of the 13th of November I decided with a text book setup it was time to hunt him. There was a North wind that was light an the temps had fell about 15 degrees. I set up my camera an climbed up to my lock-on. I had been setting there about 2 hours when I heard some noise over to my right. I could not locate it for about 10 minutes. I finally got a glimpse of his left main beam an knew it was him. He worked his way toward the scrape an turned an went down the hill. I thought it was over he walked out to an old road an turned an started towards the top to stop every few steps an look around. He walked up to the scrape an looked at it an turned an looked down the trail an looked straight at my camera that was about 6 feet off the ground. He walked over an stuck his nose up to with in a foot of my camera at about 15 yards with no offer of a clear shot. He came unglued an down the hill he went about 20 yards an locked up. He turned an looked at the scrape again an walked back up the hill to the scrape an started working it. I drawed an settled the pin an touched the release an sent the arrow on it's way. The arrow looked good until he started his drop. With that little voice yelling in that back corner of my head, you should have listened to your instinct an shot lower. The arrow went about an inch over his back an down the hill that ACC flew. He turned an ran the same direction an stopped about 60 yards out an started walking an still unsure of what just happened. I new he was gone this time for good that evening as darkness approached. This was the trail cam picture just before I shot.

Last edited by AR Bowhunter; 12-10-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a great story and Im sure a real disappointment. On Midwest Whitetails last year they had a very interesting video show on deer dropping during the shot. They showed 2 or 3 deer dropping after the arrow was released. The videos show 2 bucks hit high with no kill and one clean miss. I'll try to make this short, They reviewed many videos to try and determine exacting when the deer would drop based on the noise of the bow and arrow speed. Here is what they came up with. If the deer is within 20 yards, the arrow speed is fast enough to overcome the noise of the bow on an alerted deer and the deer can not drop fast enough ( drop/crouch and turn to run). They suggested that if the deer is more than 20 yards away and either alerted or you have to stop him with a grunt consider shooting slightly low. If you get a chance it was a 2009 show. By the way Midwest Whitetails is a great online show.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gall...d-lessons.html

Last edited by dliz; 12-11-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

That is a giant, sorry about the shot. He will be back....

I agree midwest whitetails will hook you, its nice because you dont have to wait a year to see what they killed like on tv.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dliz
Thats a great story and Im sure a real disappointment. On Midwest Whitetails last year they had a very interesting video show on deer dropping during the shot. They showed 2 or 3 deer dropping after the arrow was released. The videos show 2 bucks hit high with no kill and one clean miss. I'll try to make this short, They reviewed many videos to try and determine exacting when the deer would drop based on the noise of the bow and arrow speed. Here is what they came up with. If the deer is within 20 yards, the arrow speed is fast enough to overcome the noise of the bow on an alerted deer and the deer can not drop fast enough ( drop/crouch and turn to run). They suggested that if the deer is more than 20 yards away and either alerted or you have to stop him with a grunt consider shooting slightly low. If you get a chance it was a 2009 show. By the way Midwest Whitetails is a great online show.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gall...d-lessons.html
Very good video!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

that stinks but man they look like different deer.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
that stinks but man they look like different deer.
Yes, they do just from the angle of him at the scrape he looks like a six point. But, I assure you that was him.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a hunting show the other day and it showed an elk that dropped at the shot and was missed!!!!!!! It was at 27 yds and they showed the tape 3 times and each time the elk turned his head towards the hunter and was dropping as he was releasing the carbon missle!!!!! Not only whitetails do it!!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

From now on if it is past 20 yards then I will shoot at the lower part of the deer.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember in that article it talked about only shooting low if the deer is alerted or if you have to stop him when he is over 20 yards, otherwise shoot normally.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well he is back an has been back several times this week during the daylight hours. I am going to try him on the 24th morning or the 26th or 5 days starting the 29th of this month. He an several other bucks have been coming through all hours of the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.