Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Under Armour for bowhunting? >

Under Armour for bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Under Armour for bowhunting?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

UA is the name of a brand, there are others less expnsive that work better I think. I like the silk heavy weight stuff and it keeps you warm, UA doesn't, it keeps you dry just like being infront of a fan. You definetly need something on top of it to hold the heat in. Anything that wicks moister away that fast will make you cooler.

I have UA/others/silk and polypropelene. All works well and I use it all. Just start collecting. Others and polyprop are the best value and work very well.

Do you stand hunt? I put a black ergo rubber mat on the base of my stand works just like black top when the sun hits it. Keeps me quite and warm.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
I like the silk heavy weight stuff and it keeps you warm, UA doesn't, it keeps you dry just like being infront of a fan. You definitely need something on top of it to hold the heat in.
I have to disagree some. I usually wear nothing more then my UA COLDGEAR base layer, with a light 1/4 zip over it.

If you get the regular UA, it won't keep you warm, BUT if you get the COLDGEAR, it definitely keeps you MUCH warmer.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default Under Armour

I swear by the cold gear tights and mock t's. Even double up on the mock t's when it is really cold. It is very flexible and I am able to draw my bow and pull the gun up quick when I need to. U/A allows me to decrease the bulk I have to wear under my hunting coat. Just purchase a U/A hunting coat and can't wait to try it out! It is nice finally figuring out a system to keep warm so I can stay in the stand longer.

By the way I hunt Long Island, NY up until the last possible day (Dec. 31st) and also hunt the Attica, NY area so I have definitely experienced the cold. Maybe not like Wisconsin though.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nodog
Do you stand hunt? I put a black ergo rubber mat on the base of my stand works just like black top when the sun hits it. Keeps me quite and warm.
Yes I do stand hunt, about 24 feet off the ground. Thanks for the tip, maybe i'll try that out. And thanks to you other people who have made me even more confidgent that i'm gonna pay money well spent on this product.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i may be in the minority, but i personally cant stand the feel of the under armour cold gear on my skin - its basically like wearing neoprene long johns. give me an extra layer of fleece anyday.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Spike

Might want to look into some quality merino wool products such as Justin charles, First lite, smart wool, etc. They are more geared towards the extreme cold temperatures like you are talking about.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by abianca99
Might want to look into some quality merino wool products such as Justin charles, First lite, smart wool, etc. They are more geared towards the extreme cold temperatures like you are talking about.
I already use whool as a mid section layer. At least whool pants, those are the mainest problems. My plan will be to wear the Under Armour as a skin layer, and then my normal pants and whool pants for my mid layer. Then my scent block pants(really nice and warm)for my outer layer. I think i'd be set then. Whool is nice though, I like it.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I bought some under armour cold gear for playing football and I wear it all the time while hunting. I think it does a pretty good job. The only problem for me is towards the end of the day it starts bugging the hair on my arms and I can't wait to take it off.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SchuLace
I bought some under armour cold gear for playing football and I wear it all the time while hunting. I think it does a pretty good job. The only problem for me is towards the end of the day it starts bugging the hair on my arms and I can't wait to take it off.
exactly.. and the hair on your legs, neck, arms, arm pits, stomach, chest. it likes to grab and yank
Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I love the Coldgear. With colder temps I wear a pair of fleece wading pants over the UA then my insulated pants. When it gets extreme I then add my insulated bibs over that. On top I start with UA short sleeve shirt, coldgear mock, two fleece tops, and then my parka. This set up seems to work for me but I can say that I have never hunted in the temps you are talking about. Coldest for me has been day time temps around 20 degrees with lows around 0 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.