Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Under Armour for bowhunting? >

Under Armour for bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Under Armour for bowhunting?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Under Armour for bowhunting?

Hey there fellas, so i've heard that under armour is like REALLY good. It keeps you warm, whicks away sweat and other such stuff. I was thinking about buying silk but i'm kinda undecided on if I should get silk or Under Armour. I bowhunt and so you all know we sit for hours on end and i have an open stand that's 24' up. Also i'm in Wisconsin, waaaay north about 12 miles from Lake Superior. So my legs get cold pretty fast and what i've been doing for layering is: 2 pairs of long johns, my normal pants, whool pants, and some really nice scent block pants. My upper section: 1 pair of long johns, 2 thick sweaters, warm vest, and scent block.

My upper section is good but that was before the weather started getting -10 F, so i'm not sure what it's like now(and i'm already set on buying either silk or under armour and no i don't think what i have on is good enough)

I guess my legs get cold fast(last time i hunted which was about 2 weeks ago they were good but started getting cold towards the end)and so i need something nice.

Has anyone here tried Under Armour AND silk? If so which one satisfied you more?

Is under armour very flexible? Like i said i'm bowhunting and i named off what i'm wearing, do you think that that will be to thick and make it hard to pull my bow back?

Has anyone here tried Under Armout just inpeticular and been satisfied?

I just wanna make sure that I get a detailed reply so that I don't get dissappointed if I buy Under Armour.

Oh I almost forgot to tell you exactly what kind of Under Armour i'm going to buy. Here's the link see what you think. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Under...0+under+armour

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have under armour everything and I love it! underarmour tights, underarmour long sleeve shirt, underarmour socks, underarmour hat, underarmour gloves. It all keeps me warm! When I bow hunt freezing temps I just wear my underarmour tights a pair of jeans and my camo coveralls and im toasty warm. without my tights id be doubling up on jeans plus long johns.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been thinking of getting a set myself. just seems pricey .
If it works well i'll pay the price. who has the best price ?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I think it is way overpriced. But I still buy it and it is awesome.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Not only does it work..but it's a necessity as far as I'm concerned...get cold gear tights and mock turtle neck...then when you walk to your stand it wicks away any sweat so you're not just sitting in it freezing once you get to your stand...another tip would be to put your wool socks on FIRST then put the tights (which are actually called compression pants and that makes them sounds much more manly! on so that the compression pants hold your socks up and they don't slip down while you're walking. Pretty much everywhere will have the same price so don't waste too much time shopping around, the only exception MIGHT be an Under Armour outlet store if you have one near you...but even then it's only a few bucks...don't waste your money on the camo UA though...unless you plan on stripping in your stand when it's freezing cold out they'll never see it anyways! Enjoy!!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It does work well, but you will need to use it as a part of a layering sytem. It does not stop wind of any kind (nor was it designed to). Some people complain about the compression fit (I personally like it), but if that is a problem buy a size or two larger.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Spike

I bought two pairs of silk from Cabelas for my moose hunt a few years ago and it worked fine. I have a UA top & I also have the Bass Pro version of the Under Armor (compression fit) and it also works, (at half the price of UA). But as far as the wicking effect, I think the silk wicks better IMO. When you put on the silk you immediately feel cold as moisture is being pulled from your body. I do get this from the others, but not even close to that of the silk. The cons of silk? they won't last as long (wear thin), can get runs if you get snagged on something sharp in camp (like lady's hose), have to be washed carefully. I also found that with either of these choices, wearing them directly against the skin (no undies) is a must for good wicking where you need it the most. That being said, I tend to wear the Bass Pro stuff more unless i'm doing a lot of walking. It keeps me warmer. I guess you'll just have to treat yourself to both!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
It does work well, but you will need to use it as a part of a layering sytem. It does not stop wind of any kind (nor was it designed to). Some people complain about the compression fit (I personally like it), but if that is a problem buy a size or two larger.
Yes I would definetaly wear other stuff, the under armour would just be a replacement of my long johns(but better as i've heard)

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm totally going to buy this Under Armour and maybe in a couple years (or if i get a lotta extra money lol)i'll buy some silk to. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely the way to go. You can easily replace a couple of your layers with one layer of the UA Coldgear. It not only keeps you warmer, but to me, the best part of it is NO BULK!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

UA is the name of a brand, there are others less expnsive that work better I think. I like the silk heavy weight stuff and it keeps you warm, UA doesn't, it keeps you dry just like being infront of a fan. You definetly need something on top of it to hold the heat in. Anything that wicks moister away that fast will make you cooler.

I have UA/others/silk and polypropelene. All works well and I use it all. Just start collecting. Others and polyprop are the best value and work very well.

Do you stand hunt? I put a black ergo rubber mat on the base of my stand works just like black top when the sun hits it. Keeps me quite and warm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.