Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Simplifying Shed Hunting. >

Simplifying Shed Hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simplifying Shed Hunting.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Simplifying Shed Hunting.

After searching the woods for a long time and also trying to figure out new ways to simplify the process of shed hunting I figured out a way to make deer bring the shed to you.

I'm posting this now because I think the deer will need time to get accustomed to this. Anyhow, here's what you do

Make some stakes you'll need 5 out of wood (Cheap stuff 2x4 scraps) I rip mine down to 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 poles and drive them into the ground I don't know how long to make them I just sorta go with whatever, I think about 24" long is about right. Anyhow
Drive them into the ground in an "X" and then take chicken wire and line them with chicken wire, Then what your gonna do is put some type of bait of your choosing around the outside, until they get accustomed to it and until its time for them to shed their antlers, then when that time comes put the corn inside the X's they'll put their head in and get it caught in the chicken wire and hopefully, it'll pop them loose, simplifying the whole process. (This is all in theory I've never tried them just seemed logical to me anyhow)

Any ideas or ways to make this better I'd love to hear them

Ryan.

Very Crude Drawing.
Simplifying Shed Hunting.-shed-catcher.jpg
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

whats gonna stop deer who arent ready to shed there antlers getting trapped and dieing from exhaustion or being picked off by yotes?? nice theory large margain for error
Old 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal here in Illinois.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Site Buck Guru

Originally Posted by nwtrykon87
whats gonna stop deer who arent ready to shed there antlers getting trapped and dieing from exhaustion or being picked off by yotes?? nice theory large margain for error
Even a yearling buck is more than strong enough to rip off the chicken wire and run off with it. As a matter of fact, I believe that he'll spend more time mending or replacing the chicken wire than collecting sheds.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would oppose that for ethical reasons.
Only the deer know when the time is right to lose the antlers.
Force a deer to shed too soon they lose the advantage to fight and mate.
Also don't know if such a trap is even legal
Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

If chicken wire was enough to cause a deer to lose his antlers, he wouldn't be mating or fighting anyway.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GregH
If chicken wire was enough to cause a deer to lose his antlers, he wouldn't be mating or fighting anyway.
The legend speaks, and i agree, if they're about to fall off the chicken wire could "pull" them off, but if they are still strong antlers the chicken wire won't do anything
Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said, it was just more an idea that I thought up. The idea was to use it in like February when they're about to pop. I realize its a far shot but never know it may work

Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.

Ryan.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I've never tried it but have heard of guys using a 5 gallon pail, stake it down so it can't be tipped, does and small bucks can eat our of it no problem, bigger bucks as the feed gets lower will push down to get at it, if they're ready to go, antlers pop off, no one gets hurt
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to walk around and look for them. To me - thats what makes it fun - finding them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.