Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Simplifying Shed Hunting. >

Simplifying Shed Hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simplifying Shed Hunting.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw one where ya take an old horse troth, basically run a clothesline across the top, fill with food....when they eat, they lift their head, knocking off the antler...idea is to feed all the time with it, and when shed season starts, add the clothesline.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

We are going to make one this year. Ours will be a section of corrugated pipe. Drill some holes in it at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 and hook two bungee cords on, making an X. Pour some corn in. The stretchy bungee cords won't cause a deer to get trapped but if the antlers are ready to fall off it'll grab em.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

See that 10 pointer in the back. He and I had a duel for about a week. I had the 5 gallon pail with a criss cross of bungees over it. First night I watched him sneak his nose in and feed and so I went the next day and adjusted the bungees and added another. This went on for 4 or 5 days. He would come in, stare at the new antler trap, weave his rack into the maze of bungees without topuching anything, eat, then reverse his weave and take the rack out.

It was unbelievable to see him work his rack in and out. Deer are very aware of thier head gear and also are problem solvers. This one was anyway. I would sit there at the back window hoping I'd knock an antler off and my wife would be laughing cheering for the deer. He won.

I did get the sheds of the big 8 with him but I had to put a few miles on the boots to come up with those.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk

See that 10 pointer in the back. He and I had a duel for about a week. I had the 5 gallon pail with a criss cross of bungees over it. First night I watched him sneak his nose in and feed and so I went the next day and adjusted the bungees and added another. This went on for 4 or 5 days. He would come in, stare at the new antler trap, weave his rack into the maze of bungees without topuching anything, eat, then reverse his weave and take the rack out.

It was unbelievable to see him work his rack in and out. Deer are very aware of thier head gear and also are problem solvers. This one was anyway. I would sit there at the back window hoping I'd knock an antler off and my wife would be laughing cheering for the deer. He won.

I did get the sheds of the big 8 with him but I had to put a few miles on the boots to come up with those.

those are some nice bucks! i would be happy just to get a picture of him, it would have been cool to have his shed though
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Since were on the subject I got a question. I got new property to hunt in Kansas. Whens the best time to go sheding hunting? March? Its far drive up north for me like 8 hours so I want to go when I know they are off. Any paticular area to look for? I assumeing bedding area? In texas they wonder way off on other propertys to drop there horns because I've never found any good ones before. Up there the 8,000 I'm sure I can find alot. I thought it would be good time to hand stands and find old rubs and trails as well to do that. Any inquirey?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would talk with others that keep an eye on their trail camera's to see when the Antlers start dropping?Around here in Missouri they can start dropping in Jan,Feb and early March!

Where to look for shed antlers?Any fence rows where the Deer will be crossing/jumping,creek beds,bedding area's,food plots,corn & soybean fields,thick area's and I have even found them in open CRP fields.....look all over and take different pathes each time You go out to look.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by farm hunter
I like to walk around and look for them. To me - thats what makes it fun - finding them.
I 2nd that, that is why it is shed hunting not shed collecting