Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Switching to 1 pin sight >

Switching to 1 pin sight

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Switching to 1 pin sight

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

"...but I have never really had too big of problem with the tru glo 5 pin."

If it ain't broke...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my HHA single pin but noticed a very large problem with it. While sitting in the stand a young buck ran by chasing a doe, I wasnt going to shoot the buck, but tried to shoot the doe and so I ranged her at 24 yards and moved my dial accordingly. As soon as I drew back, the buck chased her off I'm guessing another 20 yards away. If I would have had a 5 pin sight this would be no problem, I would simply aim with another pin, But since I had a 1 pin set at 24 yards I would have to let down and move the dial to 44, something I really don't want to do if a monster buck comes in.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE][I like my HHA single pin but noticed a very large problem with it. While sitting in the stand a young buck ran by chasing a doe, I wasnt going to shoot the buck, but tried to shoot the doe and so I ranged her at 24 yards and moved my dial accordingly. As soon as I drew back, the buck chased her off I'm guessing another 20 yards away. If I would have had a 5 pin sight this would be no problem, I would simply aim with another pin, But since I had a 1 pin set at 24 yards I would have to let down and move the dial to 44, something I really don't want to do if a monster buck comes in./QUOTE] No matter the sight you had in this situation, you better take the time to range a target that is "about 44 yards out" because to guess and then use the wrong pin or gap on your multi-pin sight could end up worse then not getting the shot with your single pin sight. ANd actually taking the time to range your target and then adjust the single pin could be a good thing as in slowing things down so that you're in more control then just guessing and flinging arrows at some guesstimated distance.
I love my HHA also and I hunt everything from elk, antelope, turkeys to whitetails. If things happen so quick that I don't have a chance to range a target at longer distances, it's best to pass on the shot, which should be true no matter what kind of sight you use.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Spike

thank you for all of the input everyone. I agree with a lot of you when you say set it around 20-25 and you can shoot a lot of shots without dialing, anything that is beyond that you better range and dial for so you do not wound an animal. another question I do have though... With the HHA DSXL 5019 , or any of the dial sights for that matter, can you attach your quiver to the sight??? I will probably have to make a purchase this week =)