Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life! >

Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Some of you may recall this buck I posted this summer... and a few weeks ago of me missing him...

Well lastnight me and my girlfriend were walking around and I killed a doe and we were heading back to the cabin to get knives and stuff and we got to the field behind our cabin and their was like 10-15 does and 3 or 4 bucks in there and they all saw me and took off except for this big guy... He just stayed there and kept eating. Well he was along this new fenceline that my grandpa and neighbors put in so I crawled along the fenceline real low to get closer and he was probably 70-80 yards away just getting ready to jump the fence when I accidently broke a small twig that made a loud noise and that buck got curious and started walking that fenceline straight for me! I had 0 cover.. I was hiding behind a wooden fence post. The only cover I did have was the low light... Well im hiding behind the post with my bow ready to pull back and he walks in front of me 20 yards out and I pulled back and he never even sees me. I stop him and let my arrow fly and I dont know what happend or why I did it but I didn't even watch where the arrow hit him. I aimed at 20 yards right in his vitals, pulled my trigger on the release, and all I could see was my arrow flying out the other side of him... And then my eyes went straight to his rack!!!! He was a monster! The picture of him above doesn't even justify it.. That picture was during the first week of july! He still had growing. I found my arrow and their was some blood on it and hair and me and my girlfriend went to get my doe cleaned out and then we went to go look for the buck. I had a decent blood trail but then it stopped... Nothing. For 5 hours that night and about all day today 7 of us guys looked for that buck in probably a 2 mile radius. No sign of him at all.

When I shot him, you probably would have never seen a more happy teenager in his life! I was jumping up and down not even able to talk, shaking with excitement, voice raised up high, everything! I was like that all night until we went to look for him. Then once we lost the blood trail I felt miserable! I couldn't even sleep at all that night.
I dont know what else we can do.. we looked everywhere possible for him.. and it sucks because shotgun season is next weekend and if he did die some where some guy will end up finding him and taking him.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

it happens, it's too bad that it had to be that buck that you lost, i also lost the biggest buck i've ever had a chance at shooting yet, i followed the trail for about a mile and found where he bedded then nothing... it sucks, but i got over it, i still hate thinking about it, and always wonder "what if/where did it hit?, did i jump him?" i'll never know...
Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Spike

I don't know if it is legal in your state but there are guys/gals out there that have blood tracking dogs for hire. Check the net. It may be worth a shot on a buck that big. If it has not rained they may still be able to pick up the blood/scent. It is the worst feeling in the world and yes it does happen to the best of us. It just stings a little more when they are sporting head gear like that. What kind of blood were you getting? Deep red? Watery? Alot at first and then drops suddenly?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brodyb51
I don't know if it is legal in your state but there are guys/gals out there that have blood tracking dogs for hire. Check the net. It may be worth a shot on a buck that big. If it has not rained they may still be able to pick up the blood/scent. It is the worst feeling in the world and yes it does happen to the best of us. It just stings a little more when they are sporting head gear like that. What kind of blood were you getting? Deep red? Watery? Alot at first and then drops suddenly?
It was dark blood and smaller drops like penny size every step or so until we lost it. Tonight will be the second night the blood has been their and it frosted last night and im sure it will again tonight so I dont know if the dogs would still be able to smell that or not.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a dog will be able to smell the trail. I would do whatever I could to get one...and get a REAL tracking dog, not some buddy that has a dog. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Keep looking,
Someone may have missed it in the excitement.
Start over and keep looking.
Know some that have recovered game days after, and after several attempts to trail it.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Keep looking,
Someone may have missed it in the excitement.
Start over and keep looking.
Know some that have recovered game days after, and after several attempts to trail it.
Ditto!

Keep at it man. Buck of a lifetime pull out all stops. I'd be calling for a dog asap too. A good dog is amazing at picking up a trail.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

10th on the dog....
that is well worth the $500
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/i...&id=3&Itemid=6
DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ANY HANDLERS LISTED :-( for Iowa. ? close enough to bordering state.
look for birds. go to thickest brushiest area esp near water and search every inch ( after reading state regs and making sure you comply) any hunting breed dog on long leash (30-40 foot rope) would be better than not trying a dog at all. let the dog lead you around after you get it started. some breeds ground scent others air scent. worth a shot.....GOOD LUCK
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Spike

any updates on the search?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.