Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life! >

Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah your story is very similar to mine this season. I was hunting a clear cut with a Gun and my huntin buddy was hunting about 200 Yards away. Well i heard him shoot and since i wasnt seeing any thing i had gotten down to go help him track his deer. Well we find it in no time and get it drug to the edge of the woods, well him and myself are walking up to the hunting shed to get the 4-wheeler and we look out into the feild about 300-400 yards away and see this MONSTER Buck out in the feild, he stare's at us and then goes into the woods, well i grab my gun and run back to the clear cut where i thought he was going to come out, well sure enough i guess he saw me and came running into the feild well it was like a 80-90 yard standing shot. I Hit him right under the spin but not low enough for the Vitals. We let him lay for about 3 hours and we found small specks of blood for like 50 yards and then for about 100 yards, it looked like someone was pouring blood out of a gallon jug, then he jumped the ditch and it went back to small specks for about 500-600 yards and then we lost blood..I trailed for 3 days and what seemed like miles..with no Luck..it sucks

Im sick still about it, it was one of the biggest bucks i have ever had the oppertunity to shoot and he got away. I have a Feeling that he is still alive, but i dont know to be honest. But you have to keep hunting i guess..just thought i would share.

-BH818

Last edited by BOWHUNTER818; 11-29-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Their really is no update on the search right now.. I looked all day sunday and nothing. Some spots I checked two and three times even. Looked along the only big crick in the area and all the small ponds near it and checked the thickest placests I could find. Nothing. I wasn't able to go out today to look because of school and I had a basketball game tonight and I just now got home at 9:30 at night.. And I have a game tomorrow and then practice the next and game the next then this weekend is shotgun season so it sucks but I have 0 time to look. I wish I could! I thought about that buck all day today at school and thought about all the places I could look. This weekend is shotgun season here in Iowa and we do walking only so hopefully (ill be praying) one of my group members will come upon him.

Thanks guys for the support and advice with the dogs and all. They would be a great idea but im just a teenager and dont have $500 bucks laying around for a tracking dog and my dad doesn't get that serious about hunting to pay for one. The best we can do is look when we have time.

Ill post up an update after shotgun season whether or not we found him.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Spike

those dogs are incredible, you might be able to find one if you went to a local processor or gun store and i highly doubt it would cost $500
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blancobuster
those dogs are incredible, you might be able to find one if you went to a local processor or gun store and i highly doubt it would cost $500
I dont think a dog would be worth it anymore though. It rained about all day today.

I just got told from my dad that he is going out to look tomorrow while im in school and if he doesn't find it tomorrow on foot then him and our neighbor are taking his horses out to look. That will put them higher up so they can see more and they can cover more area.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blancobuster
lol what would i know.
this is D.O.G.(dee ohhh geee)...its usually about $10 a yard...cause they dont go further that 50 yards from where guys lose the blood...sometimes they go miles...but after the 1st hour your price has gone up...whatever i see fit. mostly the shot placement decides it fer me....i do the occasional charity case too...but usually depending on the company, and how much food and head oil is available.
Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!-dog.jpg

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 11-29-2010 at 07:49 PM.