Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Late Season Bowhunting >

Late Season Bowhunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season Bowhunting

Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default Late Season Bowhunting

Hey everyone i had some success early bow season, and now its time for late season in wisconsin here. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making late season successful. Thank You
Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Tip from me: try not to let them smell you.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find the food, you'll find deer there.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
If you can find the food, you'll find deer there.
IF they show up during shooting hours. I also think the food often (not always) has to be fairly remote and/or hidden or at least far away from the road if you want to increase your chances of seeing them during shooting hours.

If possible, I would think about hunting the edges of cover on the way to the food. That way you increase your chances of intercepting them before shooting light and often can get in and out of your spot undetected easier. I think if you set up right on top of the crop field and can't get out without spooking them on the first hunt, that spot is done for the rest of the year. Or at least goes very cold.

Good luck. I just put my camera out near a picked corn field Saturday and hoping the action picks up to make it worth a few sits.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Tip from me: try not to let them smell you.
I also think you can get away with more scent-wise this time of year in Wisconsin or Minnesota or wherever cold since it smell doesn't travel as far as it does when warmer in the fall and with snow on the ground and/or damp conditions. Regardless, any time of the year, wind direction is most important. The guy with the worst BO in the world and the right wind will often trump the guy with scentlok everything and the wrong wind.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help guys i just want to have a successfull season here in wisconsin
Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

To follow up: What would be the best late season approach if there is a widely dispersed food source? We have had a good crop of acorns here in VA, so there isn't a real "food source spot", since it is almost eveyrwhere where I hunt?

On a related note: We had a very late rut here. The buck's necks weren't even begging to get rut-swollen as of 11/13. Think estrous doe pee would still work this weekend?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

When the does come into second estrus, thats when the fun starts all over again. I'm not sure when its predicted to happen for this year. (I believe its usually mid december) but, bucks react to all the normal rutting stuff (rattling, grunting, etc) Late season to me is the best of the best
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

Okay awesome I would like to wait till the snow stays on the ground to go out and i have 80 acres of property people always say to hunt the outskirts of the land but i have alot of thickets in the middle of it would that be a possible option, and for the grunting and rattling how much is to much?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I would hunt corridors too, i have a lot of success hunting the travel corridors, play the wind right and get them coming and going to food. Might have to change up how you hunt them depending on the food, but also some does will come in late, depending on the area, where i hunt there a lot of does, and bucks were still very interested even this past weekend, mature deer of 5.5 or better were on there feet early searching the edges of the travel areas, just barely staying in the thick stuff. But if your hunting close to the thick stuff you better figure out a way to go in undetected, and keep it that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.