Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Advice

Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow Advice

Im looking to get a new bow this christmas but im not sure what to get. I have a budget of about $400 for a whole package, maybe a little more. So far i have looked at Parker and Mission bows. Hopefully yall can help me out a little more
Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Bear Charge or Bear Strike, great bows. im getting one of them for X-mas!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Spike

Find a Hoyt, Matthews or Bowtech dealer and buy from a real archery shop. They should be able to put you into a great bow at that price range. I suggest H, M or B's because they are the industry leaders who provide the best technology for the price and are typically supported better by the shops.

I shoot Hoyts but I've also shot Bowtechs but out of all the guys I know who shoot and hunt often - they all use one of these three brands.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

i got my hoyt katera for 400 with nothing on it 2 years ago but i would go to your local shop and see what they can do for you
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Spike

i used to work for a archery dealer and the only problems with hoyt and bowtech is customer service. there terrible. its hard to get in touch with them if you need anything... back on parker and mission great bows good customer service low prices (your not paying for a big name)... now with a name and a good bow. Matthews has to be the top choice. but once again you are paying for a name. awesome bows. fast shotting. accurate. little to no problems/maintence... theres a lot to look at. my suggestion go out to a few dealers and shot some bows and find something that feels good to you.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

And you can skimp on some of the accessories for now (basic sight, etc) and upgrade them in a couple of years.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

With the big three (mathews, hoyt, bowtech) you are paying for a name. Guess they have to pay for the advertising some how. To be honest, $400 is not much to spend on a bow these days but it can be done. Bear makes a nice product for the money. As does Diamond (which is the "lower" model of Bowtech...like mission is to mathews). I would suggest Darton (which is what i shoot) but you can't touch their bows for under $600 anymore unless you want a beginner bow. Since you have been shooting for several years I don't think that's what you want. I would tend to shy away from the box store bows. By this I mean gander mountain and basspro. Ive shot em and they don't seem to be as nice as a main stream name bow. Just my two cents. But most importantly, shoot whatever bow you like first. Price is one thing, but if you don't like the way it shoots on day one you won't like the way it shoots on day 100. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

You don't have to buy a Bowtech, Matthews or Hoyt to get a good quality bow.

I currently shoot a Matthews Drenalin but it has nothing to do with it being a Matthews and everything to do with how it felt when I shot it. I shot Bowtech, Hoyt, Bear, Mission, Diamond and PSE when I bought my bow. At the time, the Drenalin felt better to me than any bow available. I just shot a bow that feels better than my Drenalin that I'm going to get for next year. It's a Quest Primal.

The Primal is over $400, but I'm pretty sure they have a model in your price range. I would highly recommend you check Quest out, as well as Bear, Diamond, Mission and Parker to name a few. Everyone of these lines are available at local archery shops, at least in my area, if you want to support them, which I do.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I just jumped on BassPro for price reference of package bows.

Bear Charge package $400
Parker Blazer package $400

For a $100 bucks more:

Bear Strike package $500
Diamond Rock package $500
Quest Hammer package $500

Local shops usually have better pricing than BassPro as well....at least around here they do.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Spike

I have seen last years bowmadness bows for around 350-400 new . Bowmadness is a smooth single cam bow that puts out some pretty good speed .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.