Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Extream Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing suggestions >

Extream Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing suggestions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Extream Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing suggestions

Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Extream Cold Weather Bowhunting Clothing suggestions

Hello,

The forum members here have always provided good advice so here is my question?

My cold weather hunting gear is nearing the end of its useful tree stand life and since there is so much hunting clothing saturating the market I want to ask your opinion as to what I should get?

My hunting conditions while on stand get very cold and windy... I experience -20F below zero in January so I dont want to waist money on a 2nd rate system but dont want to over spend either... I was at a hunting convention and saw some outer wear going for over 1000.00 for the coat!!! way to much...

Gear needs to be wind proof
water proof or very water resistant such as gore-tex
very warm
quite
as far as sent control... i do believe in good sent practice but i dont think im sold on the scent lok or sent blocker... i think it much over priced and mostly marketing hype but thats another debate. LOL those of you who like it im not one to judge

I like to layer when tree stand hunting so if you know of some recommendations shoot them my way.

thanks everyone, and happy thanksgiving and safe hunting

PS i tried the search before i made a new post but didn't find what i was looking for.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thinking simply, layers are your friend, as you said. I kinda prefer to be warm without adding too much bulk, which might mean spending more. Wind chills were around -20 here today. You probably already know all of this common sense stuff, but I'm just trying to spark some thought here: Fleece long underwear, a sweatshirt and thermal shirt, and sweatpants under overalls. Over-jacket and a coat; neck gaiter; hat and hood; liner socks and thick wool socks; good boots and gloves......

I like gauntlet/semi-gauntlet style gloves to keep the snow and wind outta my cuffs, and glendoe makes a good pair. You might even consider a pair of thin gloves underneath as a liner and shooting glove. Outdoor Research makes a very good, thin/lightweight neck gaiter; much more friendly than a scarf and it even leaves room for a scarf if needed. Spyder stocking hats aren't very thick, but work as good as any and leave room for a bigger carhartt hat if you need another. Spyder, North Face and Under Armour are very good layering clothes that won't add bulk. Boots with a good fit will stay warm the easiest; I kinda like Rocky and Wolverine, but that's amongst a lotta other good brands. There's all sorts of this and that; hope I've named a few things that you'd be interested in.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Hmm I never have -20 temps, but my cold weather system starts with a sweat wicking duofold base layer, then a fleece turtleneck, then a Gore windstopper windbreaker with a fleece outer shell, then a Browning Hydro fleece long jacket with gore tex.

I use a thin pair of wool gloves with a handwarmer pouch, throw in a heat pack if needed.
Also a neck gaiter, generic wal mart brand, and a pair of wind/water proof Bass pro bibs.
Oh and oversized Lacrosse burlies with 1200g of thinsulate, I use toe warmers when needed.

I've started using the disposable heat patches when it gets really cold, these here work nice, I've also used the Ace brand.

The walk in is what can kill a mans hunt, you overheat/sweat, you get cold, so I pack all my outer layers in.

EDIT> Also have a Gore windstopper fleece vest that I use some times.

Last edited by onion721; 11-25-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The very best thing along with layers is to keep your blood warm and flowing. I don't know why UA works being so tight, but it does at keeping you dry. I even bought the boxers this year and they did well. That stuff though doesn't keep the heat in. Kind of like sitting in front of a fan and layers that hold heat outside of those is a must. UA is just a name brand and others are around at less cost.

Having said that chem heat over your kidneys works amazingly well at keeping your blood warm and they stay put under UA. You don't even notice what's going on until it dawns on you your hands and feet are not cold. Keep your circulation going and add in the warm blood, your good.

Got some Cabela's extreme silk a few seasons ago. That stuff is something else. Funny stuff, doesn't dry well at all but some how it keeps me warm. Look at that stuff and their smart wool socks are tops too.

Heat over the kidneys is the ticket.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Arctic Shield. The only thing I have against it was it wasn't available in Mossy Oak; only had Realtree. Aside from that, it gets me through the brutal Iowa winters no problem all the way down to -30.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Spike

After spending a few years in the back of an Ohio lumber yard I learned the best way to keep feet warm all day. Wool socks covered by a plastic shopping bag covered by a regular cotton sock to hold it together then boots.
hasn't failed me yet.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info guys. occasionally i do experience -20f conditions in iowa in January late muzzel and bow season.

So as of now I plan on getting some new base layer, and outer shell clothing such as UA.

I have some north-face wind breaking fleece and plan to use those as a mid-layer. North Face is a great brand, very durable and reliable. I think ill look as some mt. hardware as well as this brand seem to be just as good as northface. Ive had my north face for 7 years and wore it very often. Still looks brand new and im very hard on clothing.

I have some artic shield boot covers as well as the glomits and i will say they do help but i have still experienced cold feet while wearing them. My problem is i have very sweaty feet, but i tried the tosty toes chem packs as well as chem packs over my kidneys and that help a lot!

MY biggest area of needed upgrading in in the outer wear department. So this is where I plan to invest the most finances. I think when i upgrade to a better outer wear system everything will improve a little.

Stand hunting -20F conditions and colder really is very difficult task. Staying warm for me has always been the biggest challenge.

So if you have any other suggestions let us know. Thanks again guys!

oh for the record my outer wear is 12 year old very faded Walls coat and Wall insulated bid overalls. Outer wear has come a long way since then LOL

Ill continue to reference this thread when planning cold weather hunts.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

With good bottom layers I don't think it's necessary to buy the most expensive stuff for an outer camo layer. Decent stuff like Cabela's brand or others will work just fine over the top. Bib overalls are still your friend, considering the ability to layer plenty underneath and seal out the wind at your waist. Neck gaiter and gauntlet gloves to stop the wind at your neck and cuffs, etc..... I like the North Face but I'd check out Spyder gear if you get the chance (which you might not in Iowa). It's all I wear for winter sports, plus there's a lifetime warranty. Don't underestimate the Wall's
Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Z
With good bottom layers I don't think it's necessary to buy the most expensive stuff for an outer camo layer. Decent stuff like Cabela's brand or others will work just fine over the top. Bib overalls are still your friend, considering the ability to layer plenty underneath and seal out the wind at your waist. Neck gaiter and gauntlet gloves to stop the wind at your neck and cuffs, etc..... I like the North Face but I'd check out Spyder gear if you get the chance (which you might not in Iowa). It's all I wear for winter sports, plus there's a lifetime warranty. Don't underestimate the Wall's
Last night I shined a UV light on my hunting clothing... the new stuff I have is not UV hot but the old Walls brand glowes blue while the other camo is dead.

I see if i can find some spyder around here... BP and $cheels might have it. Thanks for the tip on the outerwear, that will save me some cash!

I plan to still stick with bib overalls... i like how they feel and are easy to move in.

Went out hunting this morning and saw an albino deer! yes, all white deer with pink eyes!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you in council bluffs? ....I never went to bass pro much (they prolly have the north face there) but scheels had a small selection of Spyder in Omaha; might be hard to find unless you're in a specialty shop or you go to Colorado, but online probably has the best deals anyways unless you wait til after winter. Spyder runs their gear different annually so you can get in on some really great deals for the quality if you buy models that are a year or 2 old. There isn't much for apparel here but you might look at http://www.levelninesports.com/Mens-Base-Layers --level9 gets my nod for customer service and great prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.