HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   3 Years of Great Pa Success (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/334703-3-years-great-pa-success.html)

dliz 11-21-2010 12:03 PM

3 Years of Great Pa Success

Hard work, long hours in the tree and countless hours of scouting does pay off. This years deer was taken in a new spot and area I've never hunted. My success has been based on not hunting one area and scouting year round. This scouting starts in January and the cameras go out at the end of the season. I walk a lot of mountains and swamps this time of the year. The last several years have been great for scouting since snow has been on the ground for more than 2 weeks. (Please dont take this as bragging I just wanted to show that hard work does pay off)

Hunt4Life23 11-21-2010 01:20 PM

congrats on 3 awesome bucks! i remember seeing your post from last years buck. looks like hard work is really paying off for you! is northeastern a town or you just mean in the northeastern part of the state?

RidgeFACTOR 11-22-2010 12:46 PM

Great looking bucks! I see that the antler restriction is working in your area too. Congratulations!

Windwalker7 11-22-2010 12:52 PM

Very nice!!!

I do hope you saw a taxidermist and got frequent flyer miles

Ohboy 11-23-2010 04:37 AM

those are some great deer, congrats! keep up the hard work and keep the pics coming

Doubled 150 11-23-2010 05:01 AM

Very nice. I love the brows on the first buck. Awesome.

What did your three deer score? They are all great.

dliz 11-23-2010 06:50 AM

Thanks for the comments, the first one gross scored at 163 3/8", the secound one was 144" and the third one was 130".

Doubled 150 11-23-2010 07:09 AM

Sweet. It feels good when hard work pays off. You're doing something right, for sure. Congrats again!

jaydee197 11-23-2010 07:22 AM

This never happens to me

1st post, long time listener, first time caller
It must be me. i work my tail off, scout, shoot my bow all year, tune my bow, am fanatical to the point of obsession about scent control, and have never even seen a deer that big in the woods ever. I kill some deer but never even seen one that big. Hunt mostly public land but some very small pieces of private land too.

dliz 11-23-2010 11:27 AM

jaydee197

You bring up a great point. I read an acticle several years ago from a prostaff member from Ohio who stated you can be a great hunter and not shoot great deer. He summerized it by saying you'll never shoot a big buck if you dont hunt areas where big bucks are. I scout two main counties, Luzerne and Schuylkill. I own eight trail cameras and use them all. Since I mainly hunt mountains and swamps they are great tools in letting you know what type of deer are in the area. By the way, I have never been able to pattern any large bucks in these mountains or swamps. I am always scouting new areas. I only hunt where I know there is a decent buck and usually never hunt these areas until the rut.

By the way, I will probably never see a buck in Pa as big as that first one.