Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pa bear

Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

About your Hypothetical question, If I knew an old man fed a bear and it was that tame, I would not be hunting anywhere near there. Those hunters knew it was Bozo and specifically targeted him. They said they hunted him for five years.

Yes, the bear lived for 17 years because people in that area wouldn't shoot the tame bear. Everyone that lived there knew about Bozo. That bear lived in and around the restaraunt and Leroy's place. (Inside safety zones)

I'm not sure how much you know about the story or how much you have read about it.

It was posted on another site that one of the hunters happened to have Twinkys and soda on him when the bear was shot. I forget if it was one of the shooters or the nephew, but it was posted then deleted. There was an excuse about being Diabetic. Just so happens Bozo's favorite treats were soda and Twinkys. They even said that some of the bear's blood got sprayed onto the can of soda as he ran by the hunter after being shot. That part is just a little too fishy for me.

I guess I just picture the hunter waving the Twinky and soda can in the air as they watched the bear, try to coax him closer. I might have a wild imagination but maybe I'm not too far off in my thinking.

Anyway, those hunters were well aware of that bear being very tame and very big. He was targeted for those very reasons.

I believe there was even some question about whether or not it was inside the safety zone or not. Apparantly it was not, but it was questioned. Must have been close.

The bear was fed ice cream at the restaraunt the nite before it was killed. It wouldn't surprise me if the hunters knew that before the kill.

I realize you and I have disagreed on things in the past but I know you are an ethical hunter. I've read many of your posts and can see that clearly.

I admit I am totally shocked that you can't see the black eye this will give to all hunters and am left scratching my head as to why you don't have a problem with this kill.

Somehow I believe, even you, would not be proud if it was your arrow that killed it.

I guess what's done is done and we should just cross our fingers and hope PETA doesn't rake in too many donations over this whole fiasco.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
About your Hypothetical question, If I knew an old man fed a bear and it was that tame, I would not be hunting anywhere near there. Those hunters knew it was Bozo and specifically targeted him. They said they hunted him for five years.

Yes, the bear lived for 17 years because people in that area wouldn't shoot the tame bear. Everyone that lived there knew about Bozo. That bear lived in and around the restaraunt and Leroy's place. (Inside safety zones)

I'm not sure how much you know about the story or how much you have read about it.

It was posted on another site that one of the hunters happened to have Twinkys and soda on him when the bear was shot. I forget if it was one of the shooters or the nephew, but it was posted then deleted. There was an excuse about being Diabetic. Just so happens Bozo's favorite treats were soda and Twinkys. They even said that some of the bear's blood got sprayed onto the can of soda as he ran by the hunter after being shot. That part is just a little too fishy for me.

I guess I just picture the hunter waving the Twinky and soda can in the air as they watched the bear, try to coax him closer. I might have a wild imagination but maybe I'm not too far off in my thinking.

Anyway, those hunters were well aware of that bear being very tame and very big. He was targeted for those very reasons.

I believe there was even some question about whether or not it was inside the safety zone or not. Apparantly it was not, but it was questioned. Must have been close.

The bear was fed ice cream at the restaraunt the nite before it was killed. It wouldn't surprise me if the hunters knew that before the kill.

I realize you and I have disagreed on things in the past but I know you are an ethical hunter. I've read many of your posts and can see that clearly.

I admit I am totally shocked that you can't see the black eye this will give to all hunters and am left scratching my head as to why you don't have a problem with this kill.

Somehow I believe, even you, would not be proud if it was your arrow that killed it.

I guess what's done is done and we should just cross our fingers and hope PETA doesn't rake in too many donations over this whole fiasco.
Personally I wouldnt even think about pursuing a known tame animal.

I dont disagree in the least that this is a black eye to hunters.

It's not that I don't have a problem with someone killing a tame bear. I do. Very much so. My problem is with the conflicting stories I've heard and seen. I had first heard that the bear was the product of a drive. Then I heard the same twinkie story you just posted. Do any of us who werent there really know the truth? The media certainly cant be trusted with their version.

The fact is that I havebt heard an account yet that makes sense. What do figure are the odds that this group of hunters is the first set of scumbags in 17 years who would shoot a bear habituated to humans. That part doesnt make sense.

I also have trouble with the idea that a WCO would fail to prosecute under the baiting law if there was any chance that the bear was near where he was fed. As a matter of fact, there was a (then) record bear shot illegally a few years back and the bust made headlines everywhere and the PGC had the bear mounted and on display at Elmerton Ave with a plaque telling the story.

Let me reiterate. I agree that knowingly killing a tame bear is despicable. Apparently we've heard different accounts. Many of which have been pulled. I was simply trying to say ( and apparently not doing it very well) that this story has been twisted and turned every which way but loose. I don't know what to believe about the kill.

I was also trying to make the point that What I dont doubt is that it was just as despicable for Leroy to create the situation in the first place. Helping a cub sounds like the right thing to do but usually even that is wrong most of the time. Continuing to feed an adult male bear was irresponsible and could have proven dangerous to humans and apparently did prove to be ultimately fatal to the bear.

Chuck, the respect is mutual here and I also know you are a very ethical hunter. I wasnt trying to defend the hunter because I cant tell if he is worthy of defending. I was trying to point out discrepancies that I've not seen answered. It's more that I'm a bit cynical of the overnight lynch mob led by a guy who should have known better than to condemn this bear in the first place.

I dont trust either the media or the internet much without supporting evidence and I trust them even less when the story is sensational or emotional.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Spike

I can agree that the man responsible for feeding the bear for 17 years is also in the wrong, but there is no question that a group of hunters targeting this specific bear is completely unethical.

If the bear does turn out to be a world record I hope this entire story gets out and it ruins any chance of the three of them gaining any glory over the whole situation.