Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are u better??

Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

HECK NA!!!
i see these weekenders come out all the time, just looking fer bone on the head, its all they shoot, they think they are hunters...but it aint true...
when they do make the kill, they gotta call in a dog, just to find it, cause they have no skills tracking, then when they do find the deer, when its cleaning time, they gag, and hang way back, hoping everyone will clean it fer them.....dont be fooled...
remember, you only have to impress yourself.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine found a honey hole last year. The stand has probably been sat 40 times and I would bet a buck has been seen at least 30-35 of these 40 hunts. I know in my mind I am a better hunter than him but he has a better chance of killing a buck than me because of where he is sitting. Last year in 2 weeks there were 5 bucks over 120" shot from that stand. I have to put more skills to use to harvest a deer than whoever takes a turn in that stand for the day. They may kill a bigger buck but they did not even help scout the area so you tell me who is the better hunter. I think I found my honey hole this year, will find out next week.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Right place at the right time is 90% of it and the other part is letting the smaller guys grow another year if you want a chance at harvesting a mature deer.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why are people always wanting to measure themselves against someone else ?
Just like the argument you get with the "pro" hunters "vs" the average guy.

If you hunt hard, are ethical, and follow laws then I believe you are a good hunter. No need to use someone else as a measuring stick to see if you stack up. Most times people just want to bash the other guy because he is having success that we aren't.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by squireboy
Lets say a 120 class deer is the best i have on my land yet right next door my neighbor takes a 160 class buck..............is he a better hunter just because his scores higher?? It seems by todays standards that that is the case but i am not so sure. Does taking the best your land has to offer make you a good hunter? Or are you not a good hunter until you get a 200 inch buck?
Heres the flaw in your thinking. One, its not a competition with others. People try to make it one. As a friend says, its a sliding scale and only competiton with yourself and a whole lot of luck.

A good hunter does take advantage of whats available to him. No matter if its wind, stand placement, patience, etc.

Let me give you an example. I love to hunt sika deer in MD. If you kill a 100lb sika, you have done something. I have had guys try to come over and minimize my trophy or put it down. They say things like, "I won't hunt those little things". But these they will go out goose hunting or even teal hunting. You get close to no meat on a teal, or squirrel. So I ask them if its about meat wieght alone.

I go after the best of a spieces.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think of it like this. If he can do it, I can do it. I just need to figure out what I am doing wrong. When you get that figured out let us all know.
I do know one thing for sure. "the more time you spend in the woods, the better your chance of figuring it out." Sitting on the couch watching football is not going to get you a deer period.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Spike

i consider myself to be a very good hunter pretty well rounded... i think personally that the hunter that goes out scouts, learns and keeps an open mind everytime your a great hunter it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks be proud of what you got whether you bagged a deer that season or not its the experianse that matters!