Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scouting by Spotlight.  How many do it? >

Scouting by Spotlight. How many do it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting by Spotlight. How many do it?

Old 07-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting by Spotlight. How many do it?

It is helpful if you are spotting close to wear u hunt or where u can get permission to hunt. By spotting you can see what bucks are in the field at night feeding, and sometimes can watch where they enter and exit the fieldfrom , then in the day walk that trail back or what not and see if you can find a good spot to setup on him for an evenings hunt and maybe catch him on his way to the field. but this wont always work , in the rut especially they are unpredictable. but if in early season that is his source of food at night then that could help you to get the buck you want.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do it here in NY, and burned up-used at least 4 spotlights over the yrs. Its legal here in NY as long as you don' t have a weapon in the vehicle readily accessible. In other words I wouldn' t have one in the car, but if its bolted, and locked down in a truck, or gun rack thats ok. You also can' t spotlight within 500ft of any dwelling. You also can be ticketed for harassing the deer now if you spot them for too long, and cause them to panic. So I just drive by my hunting areas, and pass the spotlight across the field rather quickly, and only pause for a few seconds if see a deer. I guess 1 reason for the harassing law is to keep deer from being used to getting spot lighted so they don' t become easy targets for poachers.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It used to be legal in Ky and when it was I spotted a huge deer with a broken leg.2 weeks later my stepdad shot it(not while spotting but completely legal) with a 30-06.It ended up being a 19 pointer with huge bases and little stickers coming off the bases like crazy.

They outlawed it a few years ago.The story is that they didn' t allow weapons in the vehicle while doing it and they busted some lawer for spotlighting with a gun in his vehicle.He supposedly took it to court and claimed it was unconstitutional to not allow him to carry his gun in his vehicle and won the case.Now they just outlawed it alltogether.

I do not know if this is true and can' t verify it.You know how some of these stories can get started but it does sound logical to me.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Illegal here in Saskatchewan, Canada to use any light source to locate/spot game. Considered a poaching act, as such a big no...non with loss of hunting rights for a min. 1 year with fines to boot if caught. So no I don' t scout with a spot light.

You can use a light to retrieve a legally taken animal, but no weapon is allowed to be in possesion while searching 1/2 hour after sunset or before sunrise.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

illegal here, but i help out on the deer and turkey counts, so i get too, it helps so much when it' s time to gettin' to the woods and scout ......
Old 07-19-2003, 09:29 AM

Illegal here in Maryland also.....I even think DNR gets mad when you come around a turn and your lights from the vehicle shines on the field lol
Old 07-19-2003, 11:18 AM

illegal here in tennessee. my buddie was driving by his hunting spot seen a deer and he pulled in a just threw on his headlights to see if it was a buck. the game warden caught him saying that is spotlighting deer.he got a ticket
Old 07-19-2003, 10:42 PM

me and my freinds go out and do it theres not really much a point to it i think other than sum fun and to know what kind of bucks travel the area i mean scouting wise it tells u what kind of bucks are there but it doesnt do ne of the dirty work of findin where they are durign hunting hours
Old 07-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

[&:]Spot lighting here in Iowa is a sure way to meet the Sheriff' s Deputy on duty at that time. Not only that but possibly an irate landowner.[]
Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

It is legal in WI to spotlight but don' t have a firearm in the car or you get a big fine..
It is a good tool for finding deer that you would like to hunt. It at least lets you know if there is a deer in the area that you would like to go after. Then the work begins of finding where he is coming from, figuring out if he is in his home teritory or just passing through, finding a good ambush point, and before all getting permission to hunt if it is private land.

Quick Reply: Scouting by Spotlight. How many do it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.