Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical? >

63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did the right thing.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with everyone else and agree with your decision. it was the right thing to do. any time you have a deer that you know has a fatal wound on it, and you can try to get another shot in it, its the right thing to try to get another hole in it. if you arent sure where the first hit was, and think it is not fatal it would be a much tougher decision in my mind. but as it happened, definitely the right thing to do. congrats on the doe andrew!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

definitely the right thing to do. i had a big buck that i thought i made a good shot on standing close by through brush, and i had an arrow ready but never took the shot figuring the first was good enough - mistake i learned the hard way, as he went a half mile before losing all trace of him - never found him either. if you have another shot (safe of course), take it every time at a wounded animal.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

nice work! you made the right decision no doubt, i;m 100% sure i would try to do the same.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Spike

You should make every effort to get another shot in an animal thats marginally hit, regardless of shot distance. You did the right thing.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Im glad I made the decision to shoot. I didn't want her to suffer too much like most hunters wouldn't want.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I agree too. If you knew you made a bad hit on her then what is it going to hurt, I have and would have done the same thing.

Now if you see a deer at this distance again with no injuries don't look at it like I shot a deer at this distance before and it worked so I will try it again.

I will add judging by your posts you wouldn't do it. All I am saying is don't get off confident in your ablities.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Of course it was the right thing...she was already gut shot. What's the alternative? Let her walk off and suffer for hours? ... If you think you can put another one in the right place the second time around ... take the shot. If she's completely out of your effective range, by all means, back out and give her some time... nothing worse than chasing her all over the woods with arrows sticking out everywhere.

Last edited by sixgunluvr; 11-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.