Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical? >

63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 63 yard back-up shot on a gutshot doe - Ethical?

We all know gut shots are not usually a good thing and are a pain in the butt to track and cover. Well I had this doe come in broadside and she jumped forward right when I shot and it went into her gut and she kind of lumped over and walked off a little ways and stopped broadside again at 63 yards. I had to make a fast decision weather or not I should shoot again at this wicked far distance (which I have practiced before, Not alot, but a few times) and get another bleeding hole in her and hope to get in the vitals OR to let he walk off with just the enter and exit hole through her guts which might not be a gaurentee kill or find? So I chose the decision to take the shot which was a good thing because she didn't jump this time and the shot got one lung and added another nice bleedig hole in her. I thought threw my mind weather or not that was a good decision but I didn't make up mind until I walked up on my dead doe just 90-100 yards away from my stand.
Do you guys think that was a smart decision or not?

Here she is by the way... She sure tasted good in the deer stood we had this past weekend.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default 63 yarder

In my opinion you did the right thing by taking that shot. I practice at 50 and 60 yards all the time for precisely the same reason. That one long shot could be the difference between a lost deer and a successful recovery. Great shot and congrats on getting your deer.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It worked, so who cares. Congrats bud!!!

Ryan.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya had nothing to lose anyway so Id say yeah you did the right thing. congrats on the doe
Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you aren't sure about the shot or know that you made a bad shot and the animal gives you a chance to put another arrow or bullet into it then you sure as hell better take the shot.

I'd have flung another arrow at her even if she was 100 yards away.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

Way to go . You did the right thing , and it worked out for you . I have the same bow , dont they hold and shoot so well !! I luv my bowmadness but i am luvin my axe 6 . Good luck the rest of the season .
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I think it is smart to take that shot. If you do hit her, the worse that will happen is you will gut shoot her again. Another hole for more blood means it will be quicker for her to expire.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing. If you miss...it's barely going to scare her at that point. It's just something making a little noise in the woods.

I had a similar situation about 20 years ago. I gut shot a doe. She went out to about 45 yards. I was shooting a Bear Grizzly recurve. I launched one (with a 50 pound recurve...@ 45 yards...it truly is a launch). The arrow smacker her right in the spine....paralyzing her. Saved me a lot of tracking and possibly a lost deer.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, this would be like like catching a bass and it swallowing the hook, but flops back in the water. You can reach down and grab it but risk it swimming away.

You did the right think. To me at the point where you took the second shot the worst that could have happen was you broke a arrow, not like one more gut shot was going to be a bad thing.

GLad you got her, I hit a small doe in the back leg, piss poor shot on a perfect setup and a loose sight. I got down walked around her when she bedded down and did not get my second shot. I think about it every time I go out
Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would always try to get another arrow in something if possible even it it is just a rear end shot or anything. If the animal has a fatal wound its not going to hurt any to try and stick another arrow in it no matter where the arrow may land. Nice job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.