Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ways to stretch archery season? >

Ways to stretch archery season?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ways to stretch archery season?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ways to stretch archery season?

Now that I've filled my first bow tag, I'm addicted! I'm just restless wanting to go out and hunt more. What else can I hunt with my bow this time of year? And what supplies/etc would I need to do it? I have thought about squirrel and rabbit hunting, but I really don't want to bust up a ton of arrows shooting at squirrels and getting them stuck in trees and stuff. Not to mention I don't really know how to prepare a squirrel for eating.

If you have any ideas, please share them!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

turkey, all you need is some calls. i guess you could hunt some coyotes may need some predator calls. uh idk what else you have in iowa? elk? bear?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
turkey, all you need is some calls. i guess you could hunt some coyotes may need some predator calls. uh idk what else you have in iowa? elk? bear?
I did just that when I was feeling the same way as you... I decided to go after Fall Turkey ( here in Illinois we can take turkeys of either sex in the fall with the bow and an otc permit that costs 5.50 ) I decided to do spot and stalk sometimes for the challenge and sometimes setup behind natural ground blinds in areas I knew they liked to roost in the mornings and evenings, and it took me 2 years to get my bird( missed one , shot over its back the first year )... but it was worth the challenge, since I did get to spot and stalk a little ways on my 1st archery turkey.
For Squirrells... just get some real cheap arrows then you wont sweat the cost of loosing, breaking them while your having fun and get them fletched Flu Flu style.
Coyote hunting as well is a blast!!! I hate yotes, Ive had them ruin more deer hunts than I can remember.
Look into bowfishing, its not expensive and we have even gone around xmas time with coats and handwarmers on,I can bowfish almost year round, except when the ice is there on most lakes, but then we go to a warm water discharge lake that is kept from icing up by the warm water discharge from the nuclear power plant and that lake is full of carp and buffalo.
Look into shooting coons , we can here, they are are very numerous and carry distemper and all kinds of nasty stuff, possums are fun to since they are usually a pretty slow moving target, Thats what I need sometimes
You might want to look into shooting birds, such as pheasent , although I have no idea if that is allowed in your state ? ground hogs etc... The Flu Flu arrows are a good setup for squirrells and flying birds. I make alot of them for customers for those purposes.
There is always something out there in season
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Iowa is tough for coyote hunting with a bow, most of the coyotes that we take with a bow are opportunity only, and are by chance and take them during deer season. They are shifty when it comes to calling them in. In the spring however, we always go out and try to thin the packs that run around the farms.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Surely you can get a doe tag in Iowa, can't you?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

No, in my county we have no doe tags I also can't get fall turkey because they were sold out almost immediately. I have thought about getting a furbearer permit so I can shoot raccoons and stuff, but I'm not sure its worth it as I've only ever seen one raccoon while out hunting. I might give bowfishing a try, and if I have a chance at a squirrel or rabbit I might take it. It's crow season too so maybe if I DO get some bunnies or tree rats I can use them as coyote or crow bait.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Also, will my whisker biscuit destroy a flu flu arrow?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

In Tennessee, I use my crossbow to hunt all season long, even during ML and rifle season. We are able to kill 3 bucks during the season and one anterless dear per day.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

head to texas do a little exotic hunting that's what i will be doing in a couple of months just so i can get out with my bow. and to get a couple cool mount on the way. the ranch i am going to is 1200 for a safari hunt. i can take a axis or black buck a ram and two hogs. or you could just do a hog hunt for a couple hundred dollars.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

might also be fun to join a 3d and winter bow shooting league. tons of pressure, but its fun, and will make you better come hunting season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.