Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beginner Bows

Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Beginner Bows

Hey

Never bow hunted before, but am interestd in picking up and bow and doing it. Around here - DC area - it would make a HUGE difference in the number of days I'm in the field as there are plenty of places I can bow hunt within the beltway where rifle or even muzzleloader are off limits. And I've seen some huge bucks out and about.

Anyway, wondering what your thoughts are on affordable bows for a beginner. Went to a local shop the other day and they had Mathew and Mission bows. Mathews were about 1400 out the door - which is sooo far out of the range of anything that's feasible for me I was about to walk out the door. Then showed me a Mission Bow (Maniac model) that was about $700 out the door. That still struck me as too high. They didn't have used bows.

Anyway, what is a good price to expect to pay to be fully ready out the door with a bow. What's are good brands? They were pretty dismissive of Bear bows - I've never heard of them but I assume they are the competitor of Mathews the way the guy was throwing off on them. Actually had one there to show me how much they sucked (when he drew the bow, the cams twisted slightly off of vertical).

I've been looking on line around here, and seen a few Browning bows on craigslist. Are they any good? Are the bows at Dicks Sporting Goods or Bass Pro worth looking into?

Appreciate any guidance/insight
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I love Mathews, the salesman was being a bit biased to say the least. Don't take the Bear bow sample as an accurate account of their quality. Bear bows are just fine. I started out with them and was successful.

Stick to your guns and shop within your budget. Bottom line, you find a bow that you feel comfortable shooting and then practice heavily. Don't forget to buy a target or find a local range to practice, practice and then practice some more. You might want to look up Mathews dealers in the DC area (one in Mt. Airy for starters) and ask if they sell used. Many hunters shop for novelty and trade in old bows for the newest model. Perhaps you can score a good used one. Go to Mathews website and check the retailer search section. Many of these dealers sell several top brands, not just Mathews. I would personally be skeptical of Dicks and Basspro's customer service has not been desirable for me. Another place to check out is Macrotech Accessories near Baltimore. They have a lot of different bows there, a great range, and good customer service.

You want to shoot it at the shop prior to purchasing. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Biginner Bow

Yes, you can find a new bow at a big box store. If they sell bows, they try hard to get a "tech" who is good and fairly knowledgeable.
So here, you have two jobs. Find a bow in your price range. Establish that they indeed have a good tech. You can start finding out by getting your draw length measured at the store. In a big metro area, you might find a part time bow tech expert, who moved to the area for his other full time employment.

First, set your price limit for a new bow. They exist; perhaps not at the "pro shops."

Just because the bow doesn't get mentioned in the archery sites or magazines, often, that doesn't mean the bow doesn't do the job in hunting. There are a number of archery companies that sell beginner and intermediate priced bows. They wouldn't sell them, if they didn't work.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-14-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the MIssion journey 3 years ago paid 500 (new). I had the mathews switchback XT before that and its basically the same bow. I actually like the mission more.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Spike

I bought a mission x4 first year they came out and i only paid 400 bare bow i was at about 550 out the door. They are great bows for the price quiet smooth and reasonably priced.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with some of the other posts here and do not listen to the person you talked to about bear bows. It has been my experience that people that sell mathews are extremely biased. I have shot mathews and was not impressed with them, but thats just me. What you described with the bear bow is called cam lean. It's not a defect. That is how the cam is designed. Many bianary cam bows have that now. Bear does make a quality beginners product. I know here in michigan you can get a brand new bear bow out the door for around $350. I know several people that have shot them and they all like them. I have shot a few and like them too.

One thing to look for are "bargin" bows. For example, Mission is a bargin bow made by mathews. Diamond bows are bargin bows made by bowtech. Same technology slightly simplified and priced way down. Check em out and you will be surprised.

I can tell you from experience that buying the most expensive/most advertised bow is not necessarily the way to go. I shoot a Darton (and if you mention that name alot of people will give flack) but have found them to be very reliable, durable, and good shooters. I got a brand new bow this year for about $630. I will shoot that bow against any of the "big three" (mathews, bowtech, hoyt).

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

look at the martin bone hunter or the bear mauler, forgiving bows with an IBO speed of about 330 fps
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice/feedback. Thanks.

Macrotech Accessories has been recommended to me a number of times by folks i know at the NRA and in the DC hunting community. Its a bit far to travel (I don't head that way too often) but maybe worth the drive one afternoon.

Lots more research to do!

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I got a brand new Mission Menace that was only $450 out the door, and that was arrows, case, everything. Sounds like the store you went to was marking them up a lot. Look on ebay too!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

tsaxybabe?

Where did you get that? I travel to Iowa (A LOT). Would love to check your local store out.