Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hanging up the bow for good >

Hanging up the bow for good

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging up the bow for good

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Don't stop bowhunting unless you just don't like it anymore. mistakes are going to happen. You are going to wound deer. It's the nature of the beast. No one can be 100% perfect 100% of the time. When I was younger I had my share of wounded deer. One day I decided that I had enough and changed the way I hunted. I focused more on my shot placement, aim small miss small. I didn't take any shots over 20 yards with most inside of 15. wait for good shots not maybe shots. Let the deer get broadside or quartered away. You may have to pass on a few deer, but there will be others. Also, practice practice practice. Eventually you will develope a muscle memory for shooting a bow. I am proud to say that I have not wounded a deer in 7 years and have killed at least one with a bow for the last six. Keep your head up and good luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Spike

i feel your pain. i had gun hunted for 12 years before i picked up bow hunting and first afternoon out i had a real nice 8 point follow a doe down my trail. drew when he was behind a tree and had him dead to rights at 22 yards. i had practiced alot and was comfortable making shots out to 60 yards and 4 in 3 shots groups at that range. also robin hood at 25 yards. everything changes in the woods though. broadside and looking ahead but when i shot i had a an old bow real old bow. like 2 wheels old not even a cam and he heard the bow and swung his head. arrow went through the back of his neck and he just walked off. found nice puddle when he bled for a bit but the trail stopped dead. spent the next day looking to no avail. its a horrible feeling but i wouldnt miss being out in the woods for anything.