HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rain on Saturday- to go or not to go... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/333894-rain-saturday-go-not-go.html)

bscofield 11-11-2010 07:16 AM

Rain on Saturday- to go or not to go...

OK- first off, let's just assume everyone knows that "you can't kill a deer from your sofa" and every other similar phrase :biggrin:

It's going to be raining this Saturday. But the stinkin warm front that killed the deer movement will also be out of here by Saturday (or so they say). So:

1- cold snap
2- nearing rut
3- rain
4- already not feeling 100% (got some cold symptoms)

All those things combined- is it WORTH it to go out and hunt on Saturday morning?

klecanc 11-11-2010 07:28 AM

Gunbrella, worth it's weight in gold if your stand hunting. Killed some of my best deer in crappy weather!

nchawkeye 11-11-2010 07:42 AM

I don't bow hunt in the rain, tracking a bow shot deer while raining is bad business...

halfbakedi420 11-11-2010 07:45 AM

well, ill sit in a blind in the rain, but it usually starts goin down right after it stops. and after the rain, the blood drops are 10X bigger, cause its mixin with the leftover droplets of water

mossberghunter93 11-11-2010 07:56 AM

Go for it I am, I'll be in my blind on saturday, but It can't hurt unless you dont have any covered stands or blinds, and if it for sure gonna down pour.

Lady Forge 11-12-2010 03:16 AM

I can only speak from my experiences and what a wise ole man taught me.
Deer rely on their 3 major senses
Sight
Smell
Hearing
If you take away 1 sense they still move
If you take away 2 senses they move less
If you take away all 3 senses they tend to sit tight
Meaning if its raining hard and windy they cant smell or see or hear to well since the wind is doing funny stuff so everthing is moving cause its blowing around and the sound of the rain and wind makes it so they cant hear anything else and they cant smell in a pouring rain with winds swirlling around.
Now if its a light rain alone I'll hunt, but if its pouring I'll pass till its starting to ease up.
But I always see them moving right after the rain stops:s4:
But then again with the rut so close .... anything goes and none of this can apply and it all goes out the window.
Example had a fellow hunting a friends property on a windy rainy day... he dropped a monster that scored 212 with his bow... hunting down in a steep ravine to get out of the wind close to rut time.
Hope you dont get a cold real bad and you feel better:s4:

PY Antlers 11-12-2010 04:00 AM

With the frontal system moving through today into tomorrow the deer activity should be awesome. Feeling down or not I will be in the stand, rattling and calling as bucks will be cruising big time. Its that magical time of year..............

demoIL 11-12-2010 04:19 AM

Let me tell you something.. I don't know what your "Storm" is supposed to do.. But if it's supposed to stop raining at some point during the day I would not think twice about going. True, I won't shoot a deer in a down poor with a bow.. BUT... If your in the woods when it stops raining this time of year... Look Out, cuz all the deer are gonna be on their feet..

Note that the deer in my avatar was shot on a day when it was raining, about an hour after it stopped I shot him at 15 yards.. He got up to freshen a scrape and started following a doe..