Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Coughing in the stand...What do you do? >

Coughing in the stand...What do you do?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coughing in the stand...What do you do?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coughing in the stand...What do you do?

I have pretty frequent, mild hay fever-like allergies that keep me in phlegm much of the time, including in the Fall and winter, when I am in the tree stand and makes me need to cough. Cold weather makes it worse, for whatever reason. I have tried sucking on Ricola honey-herb lozenges, which works for a while. But, inevitably, I have to cough a few times during the day in the stand. By the point at which I have to cough, it is usually so loud that I feel like the “gig is up” and every animal within a mile knows exactly where I am and will avoid the immediate vicinity like the plague. I try to just “suck it up” and not cough, but then, eventually the phlegm in my chest starts making wheezing sounds to the point where it would give me away. I use the “Cough Muffler”, but I don’t think it works well.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Typical Buck

a lot animals cough,I dont know about deer tho.You could try some delsym.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

I had to cough the other day with a doe and yearling within 30 yards. I coughed into the bend of my arm and they never even looked up. I am sure it may scare some but if you have to you have to.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I hate when you have an ich in your throat and you try all you can not to cough but it ends up making you cough really loud.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also cough into the bend of my arm, into what ever clothing I have on, which muffles it pretty well, but I also beleive that if the animal isn't looking at you and sees your movement, no harm has been done. All kinds of noises in the woods, often I can't tell what made the noise, deer are the same. They may look in the direction of the noise, but rarely will leave the area just because of a strange noise.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

It may depend on the deer in question, but last year I had a huge buck bed down about 23 yards away from me for 2 hours. Had to cough the whole time, to the point tears were rolling down my cheeks. When he finally got up, I was waiting for him to move out from behind some branches and I finally coughed. He was gone in a flash. Didn't stop for a second to check out what made the sound or anything. Just ran off immediately.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I have a drug allergy that may prevent me from taking delsym. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually reach for my water bottle when it gets to where I can't hold it back anymore. If I have to cough, I cover my mouth with my gloves as tight as I can to muffle the sound.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.coughsilencer.com/about.htm

Old 11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Spike

I have the same problem and bought the cough silencer. It may sound a bit stupid but I actually had to practice using the silencer to get the desired effect. It works very well for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm...this cough silencer sounds interesting. I may try to get one before I head to the mountains tomorrow evening. CNY Guy, you said you needed to practice before it worked for you? What's the secret? Or, alternatively, what's tricky about using it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.