HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ashland County,WI area (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/333471-ashland-county-wi-area.html)

wisbowhunter2009 11-05-2010 05:35 AM

Ashland County,WI area

Just wondering if anyone has been seeing any in rut yet? i only have 1 buck on camera that has a swollen neck but got about 8 different bucks on camera... everyone else been seeing anything??

wisbowhunter2009 11-08-2010 04:58 PM

no one must hunt up here lol..

WI Bow Hunter 11-08-2010 05:03 PM

Central WI they have been chasing. I know on I think it was Wednesday I didn't see any dead dear on the highway driving north or south in the evening (from Wausau to Minocqua) but the next day I saw 4 dead bucks all 4-6 point basket racks.

wisbowhunter2009 11-13-2010 06:51 AM

oh wow... Thanks!

Schobs 11-13-2010 07:42 AM

This could be here-say, but I did hear they found some CWD up in your area in a deer pen.

wisbowhunter2009 11-14-2010 05:19 AM

ohh.. never heard of anything yet but could be true... Theres a stupid deer pen lodge thing in butternut so it could be there... I think there all tame deer.. Not sure though

ISHAMKBJ 11-15-2010 04:49 PM

I hunt in the Park Falls area and have started to see some smaller bucks following some does. Does that mean the bigger bucks will be following soon?

rangerboy 11-15-2010 04:56 PM

Definately winding down, if not pretty much done. Scrapes started showing up by us in the middle of october. Layed the smackdown on a 10 pt on october 29. Came by checkin scrapes. Dad shot a 4 pt and my uncle a small 8. No scrapes from the last week and a half and big boys, not checkin the does out on camera any more, so i think its almost done, if not completely done. We hunt east of glidden in ashland county forest land.

craigs248 11-15-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Schobs (Post 3721027)
This could be here-say, but I did hear they found some CWD up in your area in a deer pen.

There's an article on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel online that says that a buck shot on a "shooting preserve" near Ashland was found to be positive for a test for CWD. They're going to send a sample to a lab in Iowa to confirm the results. Those should be available this week. Not sure if I can post a link on this site, but search JSonline and look in the Sports/Outdoors section.

If you search the "Ashland Current", there's an article there that says that the deer farm was recently sold. An inspection of the fence by the DNR found a "breech" that could allow deer to enter or escape the closed area.

Hopefully, CWD didn't get out of there.

wi_buckstomper 11-17-2010 08:04 AM

Still going good here in southern wisconsin. Seeking phase is over. Into the breeding phase. Watched a realy nice buck breed a doe a few days ago.