Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
should there be an ohio antler law >

should there be an ohio antler law

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

should there be an ohio antler law

Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
I have an idea. Why not let people shoot what they want. Just because you want to be a trophy hunter doesn't mean that 12 year old boy or girl out there does. Is this what hunting has become? Just a bunch of guys out there for bragging rights?
Agreed. Let people take what they want. If someone is happy shooting a spike, let them shoot one. It's their choice to take what they want. If someone wants to shoot a trophy buck, then they are more than welcome to do so. What happens if we start saying that a 10 point or bigger buck cannot be shot? People will be getting mad because they aren't allowed to shoot what they want.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I had at least a couple of paragraphs written here and then decided that I was going against the point I want to make with this post. Bigmike, read, and then re-read the "Another way to ruin hunting" sticky at the begining of the general whitetail hunting section.

Hunting is what the hunter makes of it. Let the hunter decide if that animal in front of them, which I am sure they worked hard to happen, should be taken or not.

God made the younger animals not as experienced for a reason. To allow the "greenhorn" hunters the chance to have a good experience, to gain confidence and to gain knowledge in hunting. If you only want to take larger "trophy" animals, get better at hunting. Do not expect the herd will be managed to only have the big deer for you to have an opportunity to kill.

Now, if I may leave you with one thought, "If it isn't fun or productive, what is the point?"

Alright, I will get off my soap box now. It has been a bad day and I needed to vent somehow.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

how bout we dont hunt doe? they carry 2-3 fawns once bred, hunting doe is putting far more of a hurting on the population than shooting small bucks!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

In OH and PA where I hunted this year the ratio of buck to doe was 2 to 1. Having said, I would NOT suggest laying down the doe. The populations continue to decline so lets think before we start wacking them just because you can buy a permit. I will leave my 3 open doe tags in OH for a young hunter to enjoy. We are all responsible for deer management, but please take a serious look at your populations. Just my 2 cents and good hunting.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Spike

I know the property that I hunt in Ohio, actually just this past weekend ( Sat & Sun). I saw two button bucks together, two spikes, 4 pt, 7 pt, and a small 8 pt. All in shooting range but didn't shoot. But only saw one doe. I think that Ohio should take the bag limit down on does is my opinion, and go back to were u can only harvest two or three does. In the past three years I have noticed the doe population go down in the area that I hunt.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I wish they would go to earn a buck.The buck to doe ratios are getting out of hand with all of the loss of private hunting land.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've lived in Ohio for over 40 years...and hunted 30 of them. The deer herd here is as healthy as anywhere.

We do not need antler restrictions...The one buck limit means that bucks have a chance to get old on their own.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
I have an idea. Why not let people shoot what they want. Just because you want to be a trophy hunter doesn't mean that 12 year old boy or girl out there does. Is this what hunting has become? Just a bunch of guys out there for bragging rights?

Sadly yes thats what it has become,its all about the bragging rights.