HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   weird question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/333451-weird-question.html)

pearsontx4 11-04-2010 09:47 PM

weird question?

i was at work the other day and i was thinking.

during deer season would you rather see tons of deer each year and never have one in range

or

see only a few deer a year that would be in range but there's no guarantee that they would be shooters

witch one would you rather have?

i know its a weird question but i was just wondering.

obsessed bowhunter 11-04-2010 11:17 PM

If I see tons of deer and can't get them in range then that is my own fault. I would rather see a bunch and take my chances.

IOWABUCKHUNTR 11-05-2010 07:45 AM

Neither! Ha. I like having tons of deer every year all within range and most of the time, for the average person they are shooters!

Be jealous; Midwest rules! lol

(Just got back from a hunt this morning, I'm in a rather chipper mood today.)

Gundeck 11-05-2010 08:47 AM

Iowa, not to argue your point, but I took an eight point this weekend. It is my largest deer ever in 34 years of hunting. I am absolutely thrilled. If I was tripping over ten pointers every day, I don't think it would be a big deal. Shooting a deer this size in my little woods is an accomplishment. Shooting a 140 class in Iowa is a daily occurance. :biggrin:

HardwoodHunter 11-05-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gundeck (Post 3716102)
Iowa, not to argue your point, but I took an eight point this weekend. It is my largest deer ever in 34 years of hunting. I am absolutely thrilled. If I was tripping over ten pointers every day, I don't think it would be a big deal. Shooting a deer this size in my little woods is an accomplishment. Shooting a 140 class in Iowa is a daily occurance. :biggrin:

Amen to that one!

hunt12ga 11-05-2010 07:46 PM

Ha, yeah, us midwesterners with the corn-fed whitetails are a bit spoiled. My wife happened to be sitting on the couch reading a magazine one day while I was watching a hunting show. They were gun hunting in Alabama or Mississippi or somewhere down there. They fella on the tv shot a little 8-pointer, probably in the 120 range, and he was excited out of his mind. He went on and on about how it was the biggest deer he'd ever shot. My wife looked at me and said, "Uh, why is he so excited about that little deer?" LOL She just sees the heads on the walls and some of the big guys in the fields around the house and assumes the deer are like this everywhere. Let's count our blessings, Iowa!

But, back to the question. I'd take take the option with lots of deer in range. They are ALL shooters when you are filling a freezer. Three dead young deer take up WAY more room in a freezer than one GIANT that is still walking around in the woods!

rw

V8Ranger 11-06-2010 01:21 AM

I would rather seen lots of deer and keep trying to get them in range. Then at least there is something to look forward to every day. When you don't see hardly any deer it get discouraging and you don't look forward to going out as much

WI Bow Hunter 11-06-2010 09:16 AM

In range.... I hate tag stew.