Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage Never Opened UP!! >

Rage Never Opened UP!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Never Opened UP!!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Rage Never Opened UP!!

On two separate occasions this last week I had personal experience of the rage 3blade and 2blade not opening up at all on animals. It seriously looked like the deer was shot with a field point. Absolutely no cut marks from blades. This happened to my friends buck that I filmed for him and my fathers buck that he shot the day after. Both had the same effects… very very little blood, no cut marks and both passed through! We had to track both bucks over a quarter mile and when we finally caught up to them they were still alive (not good). Good thing we were able to find them both but if it weren’t for almost perfect shots by both I know we wouldn’t have found these deer.

Don't even know why I started this thread because all you will hear is FIXED BLADES ARE THE BEST and thats why you dont shoot mechanicals. Just letting you know haha keep on pushing!!!!!

Last edited by ebieszk; 11-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Spike

i know if you read the reviews on cabelas, alot of people have the same problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I use a fixed blade Cabela's brand broadhead.

I was debating on switching to rage for next season. After your account, I think I'll stick with fixed blade, although I may switch to another brand.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Spike

my hunting group had nothing but problems with them. i switched to ap spitfires and have had good luck with them.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting the rages since they hit the market and have been harvesting numerous deer every year and never had that problem. I swear by them...were they old or new? Thats nutz and cant blame u for wanting to change.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I believe you

I know, because it's mechanical. And mechanicals may not always work. And many of us may not check out each broadhead arrow that is put in the quiver. Some of us may just assume the mechanical is going to open every time.

Good reminder to me to keep checking each mechanical I put on the arrow and put in the quiver. Plus I really enjoy saving money. I've been using the same mechanical brand for over fifteen years. And I had a problem a couple of times, beforehand, if I didn't check before using.

Thanks for reminding me so strongly. Even I need the reminders.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

My dog and I track wounded deer and I have been developing doubts about the overall efficacy of Rage broadheads (and similar mechanicals). I think that the benefits of short tracking jobs with a good hit are outweighed by the risk of loss with a poor hit/poor penetration or(?) malfunction.

I had considered giving them a try, but for now I will stick with my ST's.

-fsh
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't everyone ever remember what they teach ya in hunters safety? A safety is a mechanical device and may fail so keep your muzzel pointed in a safe direction all the time. Well mech bh is a mechanical device that may fail at any time so please leave them at home or don't buy then and get yourself a good fb bh.

Everyone learns. Ive heard so many people over the years who use to shoot mech and say never again after something fails. I've almost never heard anyone say that about a fixed blade and if they do its a cheap walmart one and the blades fell off cuz it was made like junk.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

You didn't happen to take pictures of the entrance and exit wounds, did you?

Even if they didn't open up (not sure how they couldn't) they still cut at least a 3/4" which is only a 1/4" smaller than some fixed. The reason I say this is fixed guys will say if you hit them right with their 1" fixed a deer will go down quick but on your 2 occasions, 3/4" on almost perfect hits with complete passthroughs, the deer went over 1/4 mile and were still alive when you find them? Seems a little strange, don't you think?

How does a 1" diameter head put them down quick and dead and a non opening Rage that still cuts 3/4" not kill them?

Not trying to start an argument just trying to understand.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
You didn't happen to take pictures of the entrance and exit wounds, did you?

Even if they didn't open up (not sure how they couldn't) they still cut at least a 3/4" which is only a 1/4" smaller than some fixed. The reason I say this is fixed guys will say if you hit them right with their 1" fixed a deer will go down quick but on your 2 occasions, 3/4" on almost perfect hits with complete passthroughs, the deer went over 1/4 mile and were still alive when you find them? Seems a little strange, don't you think?

How does a 1" diameter head put them down quick and dead and a non opening Rage that still cuts 3/4" not kill them?

Not trying to start an argument just trying to understand.

What is so strange is how guys like you care so much about proving or disproving a guys experience. Now that's one a person has to be suspect of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.