HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   2nd Illionis Buck 2010 = 10th Deer Down (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/333382-2nd-illionis-buck-2010-10th-deer-down.html)

Lady Forge 11-03-2010 08:12 PM

2nd Illionis Buck 2010 = 10th Deer Down

3 Attachment(s)
This morning I headed out with my last buck tag to an area where I had taken a nice Doe earlier this season. I got the climber on the tree .. made my accent and then readied myself for sunrise. As I sat there longer and longer I began to doubt my location and wondered if I should have gone to a different spot. But I then resigned myself to hunting this spot and see what happens.
I was still sitting not really thinking about anything just kind of enjoying the woods and taking it all in when I see a buck working his way towards me parralleling the ridge angling up to me.... I see he looks like a shooter to me.... but... I cant stand up ... I am afraid at the angle he is at he will see me move so I readied myself for the shot sitting down.
He steps behind a tree and I come to full draw as he emerges from the other side of the tree I settle my 20 yard pin on his lungs and I swear there must have been someone in the tree above me doing jumping jacks :( Cause that buck stopped dead in his tracks and looked straight up at me... I am at full draw and he is giving me the stair down and hes not liking what he sees... I am still at full draw and starting to falter... I felt my arm start to creep forward and catch it and pull it back and he is still stairing at me and I started to creep again but catch it and pull it back .. he is still staring at me and I am starting to shake bad cause it feels like I have been holding that 60lbs back forever and the pin leaves hes vitals and I catch it and force the pin back on his vitals.
Now he decided he was outta there and takes one step backwards and his body language is telling me he is gonna backup turn and leave and then I'll have no shot so as he turns I have the frontal shot and decide to take it, I was very confident I could make the shot and I took it.
The arrow looked like it was close to where I wanted but hard to tell since he took off so fast with the arrow stuck in him and no exit, I watched him run down the ridge and at roughly 90 to 100 yards I see him stumble and sway then I see him tip over the other way... I can only see little bits of him through all the trees but I hear a crash and thrashing... I hear a very load roar followed by 4 of the loudest grunts I have ever heard and then it fell dead silent.... I didnt hear him running away anymore and I was pretty confident he was down but I couldnt see him... So I stayed in the tree for about maybe a total of 40 minutes and couldnt stand it any more I had to go and see what was where I heard the grunts.
And he was laying right there dead:)
We knew the front part of the broken off arrow was stll in him and low and behold it was still stuck in his heart ... so now that I have tagged out on bucks in Illinois I can go back to Doe hunting after the rut, Video taping hunting for fun, and some scouting for next year.
So this puts me at 10 deer down so far this season:s4:

He is a 8 pointer with a sticker growing off the back of his left brow tine.

BUCKMARK 11-03-2010 08:25 PM

Awesome, another nice buck. Can't wait to get back in the woods this weekend...

BIGBUCK17 11-03-2010 08:33 PM

you are just puttin deer down left and right! nice buck!! you need to send some of them my way!!haha

2 Lunger 11-03-2010 08:49 PM

I seriously feel sorry for any deer that walks within bow range of you. Great looking buck!

Ohio Bowhunter75 11-04-2010 03:19 AM

congrats,great buck

Canuck33 11-04-2010 03:52 AM

What a year you are having congrats on another great buck and a great season!

cterbow 11-04-2010 04:26 AM

Now that is a pin point shot...excellent season

Flatland Hunter 11-04-2010 05:11 AM

Congrats! I have one 9 point and one big doe down this year... both just west and south of Paxton. I will out this next week around Penfield. Congrats again! Are you still at Blue Ridge?

Ohboy 11-04-2010 05:15 AM

very nice buck, congrats

blakefrautschi 11-04-2010 06:15 AM

Congrats! another great buck!

ksharvester 11-04-2010 06:20 AM

i feel the same

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger (Post 3715044)
I seriously feel sorry for any deer that walks within bow range of you. Great looking buck!

Lady Forge 11-04-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flatland Hunter (Post 3715161)
Congrats! I have one 9 point and one big doe down this year... both just west and south of Paxton. I will out this next week around Penfield. Congrats again! Are you still at Blue Ridge?

No, I am no longer working at the Bow Shop , they are under new ownership as of June 2010.

CONGRATS ON YOUR 9 POINT AND BIG DOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:
I am working on a farm deal now that will provide me with free hunting private land... there are some great whitetail genetics around that preserve!

Best of luck to you next week there;)

Huntinlady 11-04-2010 07:22 AM

COOL-GREAT BUCK CONGRATS TO YOU Lady Forge!!! I know you are on another team but WAY TO GO!!!! You just show them boys up:party0005:

lifesadrag 11-04-2010 02:06 PM

Congrats on a great season....great shot!

wis_rifle_hunter 11-04-2010 05:07 PM

another one hot damn!!! your laying the smack on them this year. congrats and nice job

blackhawk_archery 11-04-2010 05:52 PM

Hello,
First off nice going on your kills looks like you have had a great season,I dont want to sound rude or anything but are you going to eat these or are you just looking to see how many "kills" you can get? I am not trying to start anything with you just trying to help you understand that the number of kills is not what its about,I am sorry if I am wrong you are much older then me and may have more hunting years under your belt.

Lady Forge 11-04-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3715711)
Hello,
First off nice going on your kills looks like you have had a great season,I dont want to sound rude or anything but are you going to eat these or are you just looking to see how many "kills" you can get? I am not trying to start anything with you just trying to help you understand that the number of kills is not what its about,I am sorry if I am wrong you are much older then me and may have more hunting years under your belt.

No offense taken...
I hunt on a herd reduction hunt property owned by the University of Illinois the majority of the time where #'s are the goal... we have a target goal # of deer that need to be removed from the property to maintain the herd quality and the # of deer that they feel the land can sustain.This # is decided upon by the land owner the University of Illinois.

None of my deer go to waste... We have a freezer of venison and room for more. I have a list of people that want deer and most of them are folks that are feeling the effects of the economy, one whom cant hunt much anymore due to his advanced age and and when he does he isnt to successful anymore etc......

Oh Yeah ... Thanks for reminding me how old I am... Old Women Love it When You Do That:s8:
Note the sarcassam:s3:

blackhawk_archery 11-04-2010 08:00 PM

Hello,
Glad you didnt take it the wrong way I see what you are doing now,I didnt mean you was old just older then me.

stabnslab_WI 11-05-2010 06:25 AM

Im jealous!! Where have you all been hunting this year. I want to shoot 10 deer next year.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 11-05-2010 10:22 AM

I love the "MUCH older than me" comment! Brave man!

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-05-2010 10:33 AM

congrats on a great buck.....Brown County?

Lady Forge 11-05-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP (Post 3716162)
congrats on a great buck.....Brown County?

No ... The fisrt buck I killed this year was over at Larry's... the 2nd Buck I killed here where I hunt the majority of the time... How are you doing:biggrin:? Any luck so far and are you heading over to brown county this year for archery or just going for firearm???
Happy Hunting !!!!!!

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-12-2010 03:30 AM

I'm doing well, no Illinois hunting this year. The farm I hunt was sold at the last minute, didn't have time to to drive out and scout, but the owner has 250 acres he is giving us for next year it's in PIKE COUNTY, a outfitter in that area has the lease now, he hunts it for himself and his brother has no clients on it, the farmer next door also wants to lease it, this tells me that there must be something running on it that they want!!!!! Also he is working on another 650 acres for us for next year.

The new owners of the sold farm are A-holes they will kill anything, they where told of the bucks that roam it, but they want meat only..Oh well to each there own!!!

Lady Forge 11-12-2010 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP (Post 3720328)
I'm doing well, no Illinois hunting this year. The farm I hunt was sold at the last minute, didn't have time to to drive out and scout, but the owner has 250 acres he is giving us for next year it's in PIKE COUNTY, a outfitter in that area has the lease now, he hunts it for himself and his brother has no clients on it, the farmer next door also wants to lease it, this tells me that there must be something running on it that they want!!!!! Also he is working on another 650 acres for us for next year.

The new owners of the sold farm are A-holes they will kill anything, they where told of the bucks that roam it, but they want meat only..Oh well to each there own!!!

Well that sucks... sorry to hear about you not being able to hunt it this year... ya know the old saying .. when he closes a door a window opens... and hopefully that will hold true in your case...it sounds like your right , there must be something good running in there that they all want. Were going back over to Larry's in Brown County after the 1st gun season to kill some Doe's for Larry.. we had a blast doing it last year:D
Ya know Larry has 412 acres of his property for sale in Brown County... where I shot my 1st buck this year... its AWESOME property.. I wish I could afford to buy it:sad:I really love that area , its so remote, rugged and beautiful, I figure one of the neighboring outfitters will proabably jump on it.

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-12-2010 04:50 AM

Doug just may buy it, he has lots of $$$$$$.......Any idea the asking price?

what are some of the better bucks you have seen on there as of late?