Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
advice on encounter this morning >

advice on encounter this morning

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on encounter this morning

Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default advice on encounter this morning

I went out for my first morning sit today before work. after yesterdays encounter with a doe and her twins i figured it was time to start hitting it hard.
had a fork come through with barely any light. no biggie he woulda lived anyway. i catch another deer moving about 10 min after that grunt a couple times and he turna a comes right in broadside at 20 yards. basket rack 8. good bodies but still needs a some age. the about 15 min after him i catch some more movement from the same sopt the others came from. I could tell he had some good sticks on his head so i get stood up and release hooked up. He is about 60 yards to my right. i have perfect wind so i give a couple small grunts. he kinda looks up but seems uniterested. he steps out and I get the first good look at his rack. HOLY CRAP. this one will easily go 160 maybe 170. great mass and tall as the sears tower. he cuts closer i get ready and then he cuts back behind my stand. i let him get behind a tree and give a little more agressive grunt. he gets a little farther away and i hit a little snort wheeze. nothing again.

He didnt have his nose to the ground so he wasnt chasing. he should have been the big boy and most likely is. but he seemed very laxidasical. after the little 8 seemed so agressive and came in posturing i thought this one would as well.

i keep goin through it in my head wondering if i could have done anything different
Old 11-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO....I wouldn't of grunted that close or snort weezed. He is already looking and might of walked right in. But your grunts gave him a location and from my exsperince they can home in with in feet of the grunt 100 yards away. If he is as big as you say, he will go out of his way to move down wind of the area to work in his advantage. I normally let them get out aways before grunting at him and then moving away from him in the opposite direction painting a picture in his mind that the buck is moving. Works for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea when i made the first grunt he was about 80 yards away. then when he was working away on the snort wheeze he was about 60 yards away. Good thing is he didnt get overly excited or spook out of the area so the way they where filtering off this pasture there is a pretty good chance they will do it again this week.
oh well thats why its called hunting and not killing. he has just given me a reason to spend every waking second in the woods waiting for him.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anything can happen this time of year you just need to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Spike

Yep, the only way (that I know) to increase the odds.....Be there! Of course you can over-do-it with too much traffic. The time is getting right, here in MO young bucks are starting the chase! Bugguns to follow!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

where you at in Mo. im in the northwest corner.