Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First Time in a Climber..Gulp >

First Time in a Climber..Gulp

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Time in a Climber..Gulp

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
IF you do use just a rope make sure you tie it on before you head up. I know a couple times in my early days I was so worried about having to climb I would tie the rope to the bow but not to the stand. Nothing like getting you stand 25' up a tree and looking down for the rope and its still on the ground.--DUH!!
Done this more than once.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
This might be a dumb question but how many of you have to trim branches on the way up. The trees on our property are big bur oaks and maples and the stand cannot reach around them. And the other smaller tree's have branches every 5-10 feet and grow in every direction.
Not always, but a good portion of the time there are limbs. I carry a saw in the pocket of my vest, and anything less than a few inches in diameter is not a problem. If there is anything bigger than that...well, I find a different tree. I just try to keep from touching the limbs with my bare hands, since it will soon be on nose level with any passing critters.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Spike

summit viper baby i too was nervous but you will get use to it
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Also if you didnt already buy one of those retractable bow lines.
I found a stray bracket that I wired and duct taped to my stand. I tied the haul line (para cord) to it, and a dog clip to the other end of the line. I wind the line around the bracket and it stays with the stand. To keep from getting tangled when hauling up, I pull up with my left hand and strip the cord away and over the stand with my right. After unclipping the bow, I let the clip slide down to the ground so it's straight, then wind it around the bracket. Works pretty good for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

i love climbers with the bar in the front feel real safe.now once i get to my height i tie the top to the bottom around the front bar of the top to the front of the bottom not real tight just tight enough when you stand up the rope is tight to force the top peice to stay put..bungees work good to but dont tie so tight that if you lift your feet it makes the bottom fall...plus i tie the two stand peices together toward the back of the two on one side
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

I got the Gorilla greyback climber, cheap, works. I normally target tulip poplar trees, they are all over in NC and grow like telephone poles. The more you get used to it, youll noticed yourself climbing higher and higher, Ive had to climb back down. I now hunt from 18' seems like a sweet spot. Also a tip I like to do, is get your harness belt around the tree good and high, so when your sitting its got light tension on your body, its nice for close shots you can kind of lean out with your bow and clear the upper portion of your stand. I also like to sit with the bottom half lower, so Im almost standing and hardly have to "stand up" from a fully sitting position, works well on cutting down on noise. Also marked my pull up rope, so I can tell how high I am off the ground. Good luck, dont leave the ground without being strapped to the tree.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by louie6014
I also like to sit with the bottom half lower, so Im almost standing and hardly have to "stand up" from a fully sitting position, works well on cutting down on noise. Also marked my pull up rope, so I can tell how high I am off the ground. Good luck, dont leave the ground without being strapped to the tree.
I, too, leave my bottom platform low so that there is little change necessary to completely stand up.

I have a question, though...how do you mark your pull up rope? Seems to me that you would always have the same portion of the rope close to you. At least, that is the way it is for me. How does this work?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DDMPrecision
Ah, ya big babies! Do I hafta come over there and bring you up to the 80' mark? Nothing quite sunrise from the top of a monster eucalyptus tree in Phoenix!
Then again, I'm using ropes, a saddle, and a harness...with spikes!
Wielding a large chainsaw....
HAHAHAHAHA!
Just teasing!
Good for you getting up in that climber...
You'll learn to trust your gear eventually...
Make sure you flip the cable up a little when you raise the upper part. Helps get a good bite so the setup doesn't move.
I'm going to create Camo Depends for others like me
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
I have a question, though...how do you mark your pull up rope? Seems to me that you would always have the same portion of the rope close to you. At least, that is the way it is for me. How does this work?
I have a 30' green pull up cord from Dicks, its got carabeaners on each end. I gave it a blast of white spray paint every 10'. Its a good gauge, and normally after I pull up the bow the cord is folded in half and about 3' off the ground so Im around 18'. Tryed tape for marking but it got in the way of hoisting. I also got some parachute cord and tie it in various lengths. Tie the tag ends side by side into a figure 8 making a big loop in a scence, you can then slip them around the rails or rest of your stand, and snap objects (rattle bag, water bottle, calls, etc)to them with a carabeaner. I leave them assorted lengths so they are easier to access, or the rattle bag ones longer so i can one handed slap if off my knee and roll it on my leg one handed.

Last edited by louie6014; 11-04-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i actually feel a lot safer when i am hunting from my climber than when i am hunting hang ons. My summit climber is so stable and grabs the tree so well that it doesnt move at all once i get it in place. i love it! With practice you will get much better and most likely will use it all the time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.