HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My Halloween Deer. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/333109-my-halloween-deer.html)

MISwampDog 10-31-2010 09:11 PM

My Halloween Deer.

3 Attachment(s)
Went up to northern Michigan to do some deer hunting this weekend. Went up on friday and was all set for an action packed weekend. Hunted friday night, saturday morning, and saturday night with nothing seem. Decided to sleep in sunday morning. Through out the day the temp dropped and dropped. Round 4pm it was hoovering at about 38 degrees. I just had a feeling that the deer would move.

I got into my stand and sat for a few hours not seeing anything. At about 6:30 I heard something crunching the leaves. I listened for a second and quickly realized that it was a deer.

I was hunting in a box blind and had to peek out my front window to see what was coming in. All I saw was the rear of a deer. I grabbed my bow and got ready.

The deer walked to my immediate right and I had to look out of a different window to see it. I fist saw the whole deer at about 25 yards. I thought "Ok it's an adult deer, I'm gunna shoot". Thats when I saw that it had antlers.

Now at the beginning of this season I told myself that I was not going to shoot any bucks unless they were bigger then the bucks I had already shot. That plan went out the window when I had to buy a new bow just prior to season. Figured I had to get first blood with the new bow.

So I watched the buck as he slowly closed the distance. When he was about 15 yards, he stopped and saw my practice arrow sticking out of the dirt (I always take a practice shot and try to place the arrow where I don't think deer will come from. I was wrong this time.) He sniffed the arrow and the started to back up. I thought the chance was over. The buck then walked back up to the arrow, sniffed it again, and then started to walk closer to me.

I positioned myself for the shot out of my front window. The buck hit the opening at about 10 yards. I drew my bow, aimed, and then had to stop because he turned straight away from me. I held at full draw until the buck was about 17 yards and at a stiff quartering away. I put the pin just behind the last rib and released.

I saw the arrow fly perfect. The buck kicked, jumped, and took off. As I watched him run, I was thinking death run. He made it about 55 yards and fell over. I watched him kick for a second and then that was all she wrote.

He is a little dinker 4-pt. This is my third buck with a bow and the first buck to be taken on my property. To top this hunt off, my Pops was with me. I don't know who was happier, me or my Dad. I know i was extremely happy to have him with me.

And something funny I just noticed. Check out the camo. I have Mossy Oak Breakup, Mossy Oak Treestand, Predator Brown Deception, and Realtree Hardwoods HD. Someone should sponsore me.

BOWHUNTER818 10-31-2010 09:36 PM

Congrats..wish we could hunt on sundays here in DE

Sliverflicker 10-31-2010 09:44 PM

Congrats on your Buck.

Western MA Hunter 11-01-2010 04:27 AM

nice congrats!

cterbow 11-01-2010 05:46 AM

Congrats on an up north buck