Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rattle or Bleat? >

Rattle or Bleat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle or Bleat?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had very limited success rattling although I still do it. Two of the biggest bucks I've ever seen came in to my rattling . . . I DIDN'T GET EITHER ONE! Most of the time (95%), I don't see anything -- and I've seen some scared by it too. I've never had any luck with the can either. Grunt calls/bleat calls are what have worked best for me.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

for you guys who rattle even though you dont see anything..or if rattling hasnt worked for you, but you're willin to try again....
less is more..
let the deers curiosity bring em in..
believe it or not...the deer is usually watching you rattle..so they leave...
rattle one time..for about 30 seconds..good and loud at the end...imagine in your head..2 small bucks fightin it out..not just pounding the hell outta the antlers....use real antlers!!!
then put em away and be still!!gl
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Rattled in a spike over the weekend, and the same spike and basket 6 point opening day. I always snort wheeze before I rattle and the bucks usually come running during the rut.

Last year I had a 140 class deer out in the field with a hot doe. I was sitting 20 yards in the hardwood. I would snort wheeze at him and he would come to the edge of the hardwood always keeping and eye on the doe. He never gave me a shot but all the activity drew 3 more bucks into the field, and the 140 class started fighting with a 8 point. It was an amazing experience to see, I just wish I had brought the video camera.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have had success with both. I shot a 152'' 11 that I rattled in, and also shot a 110'' 8 pt. that I rattled in. Last weekend I tried rattling and the can.... but only had success with the can. I called 5 bucks in with it, 4 of them would have scored over 110''. The one big one I called in was a upper 140s 10 pt, but he didn't offer me a shot.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have simply grunted more deer in than any other calling. I have had them ignore can bleats and never have rattled one in yet, but I am sure I will eventually. I scared what appeared to be a dominant huge buck with a snort wheeze that I thought sounded great and the buck was 100 yards away. Every deer is different.