HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do Doe's blow at the direction of the threat? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332974-do-does-blow-direction-threat.html)

BowMan051088 10-29-2010 04:13 PM

Do Doe's blow at the direction of the threat?

I was sitting at the base of a tree in the middle of a gap between two hardwoods with good cover. 4 does came from my right and began to feed in the small alfalfa field between the woods. One of the smaller does must have seen movement near me and they all went on alert. After about 2 minutes, they seemed to be at a little more ease, but the largest doe then looked at the other side of the woods on alert. She then blew 3 times in that direction and the 4 does went back in the woods that they came out of. I was wondering if she was blowing at me or if she was blowing at something that i didn't see in the woods? Also, the does seemed to take their sweet time walking away even after the oldest/largest doe blew.

eureka77 10-29-2010 04:34 PM

I haven't been busted in awhile, but from the times I have if I remember right they were all looking right at me. Blowing, stomping, or doing the fake head bob thing trying to catch me moving.
I've been in the stand and had deer blow in a different direction twice.
The 1st turned out to be another deer, and the 2nd was a dog running through the woods.
This is just what has happened to me in my area.
Good luck!

Krypt Keeper 10-29-2010 04:49 PM

depends i have seen them blow and go off running in large circles still blowing every few seconds. did this for several minutes, and after 20 or 30 blows i just said to myself "ok I think the entire world knows, now shut up". I was walking to my stand at the time in the evening and jumped her up.

Had 2 doe about 35 yards away go into a bedding area and while picking a spot one of them started blowing at the other doe.. never seen that before.

Anthony T. 10-29-2010 06:35 PM

I hate when they start the blowing. The best thing I have found to do when they start it is just to run at them or throw something. Anything to scare them away. Yea, of course it makes noise, but noise is better than being red flagged by every deer within a few miles. I have never had much luck after being busted. But one time, I was watching a good 8 pointer on the next ridge coming toward a good shot. I turn behind me and there's a spike 5ft away. I just jumped at him and he ran away without a single blow. It works 90% of the time from my experience anyways.

jerrrrstanley 10-31-2010 05:07 PM

Yea, last thrusday morning I had one blow in my direction as i was walking to my stand. It was dark of course and I stop to get my bearing straight and from about 5 yards away she blows in my ear. I blew back... right out my pants! I wanted to run for some reason but my legs were froze. hahaha I really wasn't expecting that at 5:30 in the morning!

eureka77 10-31-2010 05:53 PM

:lolabove:

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley (Post 3712567)
Yea, last thrusday morning I had one blow in my direction as i was walking to my stand. It was dark of course and I stop to get my bearing straight and from about 5 yards away she blows in my ear. I blew back... right out my pants! I wanted to run for some reason but my legs were froze. hahaha I really wasn't expecting that at 5:30 in the morning!

:lolabove: That's pretty good.

MISwampDog 10-31-2010 09:40 PM

It's been my experience that the deer look at you when they blow. They try to keep their eyes on whatever scared them. Though, some will walk around and blow. I believe this to be the case when they only heard something that wasn't right or not sure where the movement was exactly that scared them.