HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Buck down and lost doe all in one day (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332967-buck-down-lost-doe-all-one-day.html)

Rickmur 10-29-2010 12:18 PM

Buck down and lost doe all in one day

Gut shot a doe last night, at least that's what it looked like with the lighted nock and the reaction of the doe. She dropped her hind section, both legs went out from her and she ambled down the hill about 70 yrds or so and stopped in some tall grass with a tree blocking her from my view. A half later at dark I started down the tree and packed everything up so now it's been like an hour or so since I shot her. I went to the POI and found nothing so I started down the hill checking the ground, nothing. I look up and see her eyes looking at me so I back out and go in this morning at first light. As I'm working my way from what I believed to be her path. I see this deer movement out in front of me at 30 yrds. This deer is standing there looking at me quartering to me. Thinking this was my doe I loose and arrow. Deer goes running off. I follow the blood for 65 yrds and at the end of it is this little 5 pt. All I can think is the vegetation, coupled with low light at is was about 7:20am and the size of the rack looking at straight on thru a peep and the quickness of the developing situation is why I did not know this was a buck.He weighed in at 130 lbs dressed sporting a 5pt rack. After talking care of him I went back to looking for the doe. No deal, nothing, no sign, no arrow, no blood, no gut, no nothing. Takeing this buck in no way reduces the pain I feel in loosing that doe. Anyway, here he is:

Western MA Hunter 10-29-2010 01:27 PM

congrats on the buck

V8Ranger 10-29-2010 03:20 PM

To bad about the doe, but at least you still got a replacement, lol... congrats..

Sliverflicker 10-29-2010 07:20 PM

To bad about the doe Rick, but congrats on the buck!

OHbowhntr 10-29-2010 07:29 PM

Congrats on the buck Rick, and I feel your pain over the doe. I THOUGHT I missed one last night, couldn't find the arrow, no blood, and as I saw it, it appeared that the arrow flew LOW. Got called into work, so no chance to look in the morning. So when I got back out there this evening, I found her not 80yds from where I'd arrowed her, as well as finding the arrow. "Schit" happens unfortunately, I'm kicking myself over this because she was a NICE BIG DOE (160-170#) on hoof, yet I cannot change what has already happened, so I tore up one of my antlerless tags, and life must go on.

Keep your head up, worse things could've happened....

monkeyman2269 10-30-2010 06:07 PM

my pops got a buck and a doe 2 days ago and gut shot the buck we had to track it over a mile with tiny i mean tiny blood spots but we found um