Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Scents?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Question Deer Scents?

Alright this has probably been posted too many times on here but anyways. I'm curious to see what everyone uses for deer scents early in the year to the end of the year. The reason I ask is, I was walking around Gander Mountain today looking at scents for the rut. A thought came into my mind "If a buck smells this and walks to it thinking it is a hot doe and the shooter misses the shot or wounds the deer... Will that buck remember that smell and associate it with hunters?" Whats your take on it?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wont matter if you kill him.. lol.... I got busted in my stand by a doe. She came back the next day and I got her....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

I don't use any scent at all until heavy pre-rut, like the chase phase. I don't want them to know I'm around before that. When the chase is going on I will use some Mrs. Doe Pee once in awhile, but only when I think it will help. When I do use the stuff and the doe's smell it.......there out of there, they don't like it. With that said, it's almost better to have doe's filtering by in hopes the bucks will be next.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I like using the buck bombs does in estrus to give some mists to certain spots around me when the rut is in full swing. Will also drag Golden Estrus sometimes around my stand area.

Once the rut has calmed down I will drag some Trails End around and use that.

Last yr in the middle of Dec I had half a can of doe in estrus buck bomb left. So I decided to just finish it off, set it up spraying about 30 yards from my stand. Well not long after that a doe down wind of it maybe 30 yards from me came in and went ballistic. She kept stomping and scraping at the ground with her front legs like a bull ready to charge. After about 10 minutes of enjoying the show she was putting on I took her down with my blackpowder rifle.