Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not sure what to say...let me explain. >

Not sure what to say...let me explain.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not sure what to say...let me explain.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default Not sure what to say...let me explain.

What a depressing night...

Let me set the story up for ya...During gun season last year I had what would've been the biggest buck of my 21 years of hunting take off running out of the thicket 40 yards from my treestand while I was walking to my stand. I saw him one more time that season at 335 yards and with a muzzle loader that's pretty tough to pull off. I hunted him during late bow season to no avail. Good news is, on a January rabbit hunt I saw him and my buddies saw him in February coyote hunting (and named him "that tall racked buck") so I know he survived. This year they planted corn in the field and it completely blocks the stand. There is no way in hell I can get to it until they pick the corn. Much to my pleasure they picked the corn last weekend. I went back there Tuesday evening to make sure my stand was still ok, and by this point I am so wired up about hunting this spot for the first time this year that I seriously had a frickin dream that night about killing that buck this weekend! I have been SO pumped to get out there this weekend. This weekend the bucks should be in full rut and this beast is going come out and I'm gonna tear him up! WHOOOO HOOO!!!

So last night I'm in the barn shooting my ole trusty Mathews LX. Me and this bow go back. I've killed deer with it every year since I bought it. I've been in 2 indoor spot leagues with it and countless 3-D tournaments. I know it's not the best, newest thing on the market, but the confidence I have in this bow simply can not be bought. I know that everytime I pick it up, unless I have a brain fart I will hit my mark whether it be a pepsi lid my son put on my target at 20 yards or last years 10 pointer at 42 yards. My wife says I'd sleep with this bow if she wasn't around!

Let me get to my point...so I'm in the barn shooting and I go to strap my bow in the case to put her to bed for the night and I noticed that the day before my 3 day weekend to kill "that tall racked buck" my top limb is splintered and a 1/8" wide by 6" long piece is sticking straight up instead of contouring down to the riser.

Boys I gotta tell ya, I'm a big man, but I almost cried...

I know a lot of y'all may be saying, "big deal, just get limbs or buy a new one"...I know that...but it's gonna be damn tough for me to get any of that done and be in a tree READY TO HUNT tomorrow.

The thought also crossed my mind that I'm damn lucky it didn't break on me and rip my frickin face off too.

I'll end up with a new bow, possibly later on today... but I'm gonna miss her...and probably most of all, that confidence.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks. But like you said, your lucky it didn't brake at full draw. GL getting a new bow. Look at it this way, now you have a good excuse to get a "better" faster bow. Get that buck..... GL.....
Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Ya know, that really is the way I'm trying to look at it. We all want a new bow at some point, but damn boys, I don't want to buy a bow the day the frickin rut comes in! I want to do that in January so I have 10 months to get used to the bow. I'm a firm believer in practice, practice, practice and that having confidence in your equipment and your ability to shoot is darn-near as important as the equipment itself!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good news!!! the confidence you have is really in yourself not in the bow. ie...there aren't many bows on the market that make the shooter much better or worse, most likely you will get something a bit faster, smoother and quieter then what you had and itll be no less accurate. Good luck purchasing your new favorite bow.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I get a new bow I always feel like I shoot it better than my previous bow, Of course my previous bow is usually outdated.

These newer bows today are pretty amazing it what they do.

Who knows, you may fall in love with your new bow.

Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Good news!!! the confidence you have is really in yourself not in the bow. ie...there aren't many bows on the market that make the shooter much better or worse, most likely you will get something a bit faster, smoother and quieter then what you had and itll be no less accurate. Good luck purchasing your new favorite bow.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

So, let me get this straight...to get a new bow (that's not necessarily in the family budget) all you have to do is break your current one before going on a long hunting trip?...Got it, thanks!

Good luck getting that stud!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough luck bigguns. I bought a hoyt Maxxis a few weeks ago, but its still in the box. I've got too much confidence in my abilities with my Commander to even set it up for this season. so, i'll tinker with it this winter. I completely understand what you mean about the mental games and your equipment.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand what you're saying. I had the same thing happen to me year's ago with just a few days to go before the opener. The bad news is not being in the stand the first couple days after the corn was picked since that can be an awesome time. However, the GOOD news is that the rut is NOT in full swing yet and, even though it's getting started up, it's not nearly to the level we all look forward to every year. You can still go with your new set-up and possibly have a shot, but your season ain't nearly over. You WILL have more time to practice and gain confidence if it doesn't work out this weekend. You'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

That sucks man. You'll love your new bow to though I think.
Just don't be tempted to use your bow ''just 1 more time for old time sake.'' It's not worth the risk of getting hurt, my .02cents. I say that because
I know I probably would, but I'm not the smartest bear in the woods.
Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks a lot for the votes of confidence guys! And you're definitely right eureka77, I won't shoot it, that's for sure.

And Hunter25, that's the logic I guess! Unfortunatly it's not in my budget right now either, which is why I'm not just beaming and busting at the seams at the thought of getting a new bow!! I'm sure at one point or another we all want a new bow, but it's the damn timing!! SO I spent an hour looking through my gun safe this morning wondering what I could sacrifice. I will not be without a bow!!!

I will make something happen soon, and just like y'all said, in the end I will end up with a faster "better" bow and I'll keep ya posted!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.