HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Anyone else...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332848-anyone-else.html)

WI Bow Hunter 10-27-2010 06:08 PM

Anyone else...?

Is anyone else going stir crazy from not being able to get into the woods due to this wind and weather?

I know I'm starting to go insane! I wanna fill the freezer back up, been eatin some of my venison from late last year, startin to get low again!

wingchaser_labs 10-27-2010 06:25 PM

Get out there. Wind don't stop the deer from moving. Actually makes them move better in many cases. Find a valley or a place isolated from the wind just a little bit and the deer will be in there. They need to still eat and the rutt has them on their feet. My buddy had two shooters in range tonight but one was really busted and the other was slightly busted but didnt give him a shot. One of my best days last year was this same time last year when we got 40mph winds. I was just over a ridge where the wind was only 15-20mph and I was in the hot seat. Had 5 bucks and 3 shooters chasin does around me. Didnt work out for a shot but it was fun. Good luck and don't let the wind stop you unless its the completely wrong direction. Nice thing about huntin in wind is deer cant see you or hear you.

WI Bow Hunter 10-27-2010 07:04 PM

I remember the time you were talking about, was at work and I damn near had a tree limb and powerline come down on me at work lol.

Well no matter what I'm going out tomorrow, guess I'll be doing some stalking if the wind isn't down. Good thing is that it'll give me a chance to hit up some public land I haven't hunted in quite a while, but it's very hilly compared to the other areas I hunt.

I've been sitting at home alone twiddling my thumbs alone since the ol lady is at work tonight.... the biggest reason I didn't go out is the fact that shooting in a 20mph cross wind/60+ mile an hour gusts really can be tough to shoot in and I don't have enough experience shooting in those conditions.

PY Antlers 10-27-2010 07:16 PM

I sat tonight for about 2 1/2 hours and saw 7 doe's and fawn and 2 bucks. The one I might have taken was about a 130" 8 point, but he was on the edge of the field and I was about 50 yards off of it. I was sitting just off of an inside field corner on the down wind side and it wasn't to bad actually.

WI Bow Hunter 10-27-2010 07:36 PM

Man only bucks I've seen this year have all been 4's and small 6's.

Other property I hunt they have a trail cam up and haven't been getting much other than a couple little does. Last year they had my buck on trail cam, so I'm hoping that they start moving a heck of a lot more.

The one thing that's keeping my hopes up is last year I saw a nice smaller 8 (maybe in the 100-110 class) that they hadn't had on trail cam, he was looking for does to chase when I saw him.... so hopefully a repeat of last year.

wingchaser_labs 10-27-2010 07:51 PM

Thats the beauty of the rutt bucks will show up from miles away. That public land with hills may be really good. Not many people will be out cuz they think wind is bad, the rut is kickin in good, and you got hills and valleys that will hold deer tryin to stay outta the wind. Id take a climber and find a nice valley outta the wind that you think might hold some deer and find some good scrapes or scrape line and hunker down. Good luck

BUCKMARK 10-27-2010 09:00 PM

It has been the above average temps around here that have kept me out of the woods. Now we have wind but the temps are falling and the wind will be subsiding some. Looks like this will be the weekend to hit em hard...

V8Ranger 10-28-2010 02:03 AM

Ya the wind can help you our ruin it. Its looking like Friday and Saturday should be good, cooler temps finally coming in, down to the 30's for both Friday morning and Saturday, and its Halloween weekend....

DaveH 10-28-2010 05:27 AM

The weather this season has sucked - nothing new huh? This week has been far too warm with temps approaching 80 and rain at times. It's supposed to get cooler Friday, but high winds will be here (repeat of last week). Saturday looks good, but it's my wife's birthday!

jeepinxj 10-28-2010 06:01 AM

My friend went out yesterday evening on public land and sat in a valley. Saw a few doe out of range and shot a small buck. I wouldnt count it out some of the biggest deer ive seen were shot on windy days. Goodluck