Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Buddy fell 15 feet from Tree Stand >

Buddy fell 15 feet from Tree Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buddy fell 15 feet from Tree Stand

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buddy fell 15 feet from Tree Stand

To all of you who use Hang on stands with Ratchet straps. Make sure you check them over before stepping on to your stand.

Last Friday my buddy stepped onto his stand and went straight down. He didn't even get a chance to hook up his harness. It appears the Strap literaly seperated, like it was torn into. He's pretty banged up and has 2 Fractures on his Pelvis. He's very lucky that it wasn't any worse. He's already planning on going out several weeks from now if he's able in a ground blind. Of course he will have to be dropped off and picked up but at least he hasn't lost his desire.

Safety first!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!!!!!! Glad he will be ok.....
Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear he got hurt but glad it's not worse.

Checking over the straps is an important reminder. I've seen straps that looked good fail suddenly. The elements (sunlight in particular) can quickly degrade the integrity of ratchet strap.

Also, everyone should consider using a safety system that will keep you from falling as you climb up the tree.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

I never step into my stand until I hook into my strap. I wear a harness with a carabiner. Once I am at the top of the steps into my stand, I hook into a strap I leave on the tree. Then I step into the stand. Of course I could have a problem with the steps, but there are 4 straps on the steps so the odds are much slimmer they will have a serious enough issue.

Hope he heals quickly and fully and gets back at it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I never step into my stand until I hook into my strap. I wear a harness with a carabiner. Once I am at the top of the steps into my stand, I hook into a strap I leave on the tree. Then I step into the stand. Of course I could have a problem with the steps, but there are 4 straps on the steps so the odds are much slimmer they will have a serious enough issue.

Hope he heals quickly and fully and gets back at it.

That's how I do it. I also have a couple of the long HSS ropes that you attach yourself at the base of the tree and just slide the knot up as you go. I need to get one of those for every set.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

I was using one of the harnesses that come with the stand, but there was a couple elements of the one I have that looked inadequate for someone of my size.
So, I use my tree climbing gear instead, and just pull the rope tail up with me and bag it.
I feel safer, I KNOW my gear and trust it, and I can easily self extract if need be. Love that prusic...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

He didn't even get a chance to hook up his harness.
That's the problem.

Statistically, the majority of falls occur while getting up and into the stand, or getting out and down from the stand. The harness should be in use before the feet leave the ground. Inconvenient, maybe, but better than the alternative. A hunter in our area fell the same distance and didn't live to tell about it.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was another story on the radio this morning about a hunter being found dead at the base of his tree after falling from his stand. That's 2 deaths I know about this year in MD from treestand accidents.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's usually not just one mistake

It often takes three, four and five mistakes.

Many who fall use no safety device of any kind. For them, any mistakes means the swan dive. It's difficult to hit the ground, if you're already tied to the tree. And if you lack agility and balance, not using any safety device is surely inviting disaster.

I see many falls are by hunters who use fabric racket straps. Not only are these used, many are kept up for months and years, and face many types of weather.

Some see harness as the ultimate. But some hunters have found ways of hanging themselves after falling.

Ultimately it's up to us and our safety checks, our precautions, balance and agility. Regrettable, some folks should avoid the heights of a six foot ladder. Not all hunters are climbers of trees.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is no substitute for a chain as a backup, especially guys like me who leave their stands in the air year in and year out..i noticed it took my straps about 3 years to start to be bad enough to change em. i never even took the old ones off, but am sure i could tear them away because they are rotten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.