Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Hunting Means To Me!! >

What Hunting Means To Me!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Hunting Means To Me!!

Old 07-14-2003, 11:17 PM

Default What Hunting Means To Me!!

I think we should all take the time out to respect our sport and tell excactly what hunting means to us!!

To me, hunting is something spiritual, I know not all people look at it that way. It' s not about going out and seeing something dead. Hunting is about spending time with mother nature......with GOD!!! There are no time clocks, no computers, or cars, or rude people, hunting is time off from everyday life. There' s nothing like going out before daylight, and watching the sun rise as the frost begins to melt and drip from the trees while the squirrels and chipmunks start to play and bicker at one another. We as hunters see things that most people don' t see. And even if you' ve only hunted for one year, there are enough stories to last a lifetime. It gets me worked up just being there and breathing in the fresh air, hearing the all birds and other wildlife, and looking all at the vegetation...rather than hearing car horns, and staring at computer screens. Without the art of hunting, none of us would be here. Hunting has went on since the beginning of time, and I feel honored to partake in such a glorious sport. If an animal does happen to fall by my hand it is by the grace of God, and the proper thanks is in order. Truly, words cannot possibly express the feeling that I get while hunting, I have tried to explain it many times and failed. I wish each one of you a great season on this up and coming year!!! Good Hunting!

Larry Stepp
Old 07-14-2003, 11:36 PM

Default RE: What Hunting Means To Me!!

That is the Exact reasons on why I go hunting antler getter. I go to get fresh air and to get away from work and people. It' s very relaxing and enjoy watching the small animals running around. If a deer happens to walk by, it' s just a bonus.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

I like the challenge of out smarting my quarry, the majestic buck.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put the sneak on a group of 10 deer. Cross 200 yards of sparse cover, arriving at your selected shooting spot with holes in the knees of your pants, scratched up, cactus spines sticking all over - slowly raise to your knees and draw your longbow on that 8 point you just spent an hour and a half, dodging 10 pairs of eyes, to get this close to.

If you haven' t figured out what hunting means to you by the end of that stalk, then you might as well take up golf.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:55 AM

For me huntin is a time that i can enjoy the company of my dad (my best huntn buddy) even thought we sit hundreds of yards apart it is the time that we are together and planning and reflecting on the hunt. Wow!! If you are not able to hunt with someone you love and enjoy the being together whether it be father, son, wife, whoever -- i would encourage you to find someone and get them started.

Whether with deddy or by my self i love getting up early in the morning and prparing for the events that are rushing through my mind. I have an hour drive to my hunting spot and that hour is the most peaceful and relaxing. In the stand it is everything from sunrise to sunset, birds singing, to creeks rushing, turkeys cacklin, and me snorin[]

Man this get me fired up --- can' t wait for Sept. 13
Old 07-15-2003, 06:00 AM
jca

i' m a professional golfer, and i can tell you that the 2 sports are very similiar..in both sports you are outside in a beautiful environment,meeting great people,telling stories about the put you missed to shoot under par or the 8 pointer you saw chasing a doe that was just out of bow range..i get the biggest smile on my face walking down the fairway and seeing a doe and its fawn feeding along side the course..i just want to stand there and watch them gracefully go about their business, until i hear the group behind me yelling at me to hit my shot to get out of their way..thats when i know i would rather be in my treestand then on the golf course..golf is my job, hunting is my life..i' m lucky to have both..thanks to all who make this happen...
Old 07-15-2003, 07:22 AM

Hunting is my therapy. Going into the woods puts me at peace. No worrys. I love the outdoors and hunting is just some added enjoyment.[:-]
Old 07-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I' m hunting, I' m part of God' s big plan and I feel it and it' s a great feeling.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I' m not sure I can even put it into words, I' ve been a avid fisherman all my life. A few years ago, while I was in college, I started living with three other guys. I only knew one of them. The two I did' nt know were hunters. I did' nt know this until about September when they came home anbd said they got permission to hunt on a farm. They were in the backyard shooting at their decoy. I was poking fun at them, telling them to leave the deer alone, blah, blah, blah. I' ve always loved the outdoors. I love going throught the woods and seeing the wildlife. I' ve actually had an interest in getting into hunting, but just never had anyone introdice me to it since my Dad dies when I was younger (he was a hunter). Anyway, back to college. Then hunting season started. Those two would wake up every morning before class and go out. Then every night after practice (we were all athletes in college). Every night they would come hom empty handed. They would tell everyone what they saw. I just laughed at them, can called them dorks. Well, one day they were late coming home. " Maybe they got one" we all said. Well, one of them came into the house with blood on his hands, and we all said hey you got one. " Nah, I cut myself on a barbed wire fence" he said with a grin. Then he said " we both got one" . Well, I wen out to the truck and saw a Doe and a 8 point laying in there. I remember grabbing the horns of the 8 pointer, and got a rush up my spine. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Next thing you know (the next morning) I was out in the woods with them, sitting there on the ground looking for deer. It was a nervous anticipation to see something. I just wanted to see something. Then my roomate let me try out his old bow. I went to a hunter safety course, and started shooting the bow. The fisrt time I went out " hunting" I did' nt see a thing. Then the second time, I had a young doe run in front of me. I was hooked from then on!!!!! Oh yeah....those two " hillbillies" I lived with, they are my best friends now, and the best hunting buddies a guy could have. Every once in a while we' ll be talking, and one will say " Jay(thats me) I would' nt have imagined you would get into this as much as you do" . I love doing it now. Come October 1st it consumes me. Beofre that, I' m only consumed by it half the time. Fishing season is still here. I love gettign out into the woods to scout. I love the first day of hunting season. Nothing better than the first frost, and the first snow fall of the year. I love the nervous excitement every time I walk to my stand. I love the adrenaline you get when a deer walks out. I love the tunnel vision I get when I draw my bow back on a deer. I think it helps me remember the days of me being an athlete (shot putter in college). It' s almost a competition....me Vs. THEM. " Them" usually wins. Where would the fun be if we always won, right. Anyway, thats the best I can describe what hunting is to me.

justhrowit
Old 07-16-2003, 01:05 PM

Most of my best memories of my dad were made out hunting,fishing and camping.
Now I enjoy time out with my boys. There is not a better place than the mountains to feel close to the Lord, and I always give thanks for what I am allowed to enjoy. We are all blessed to get to participate in " the hunt" .

Quick Reply: What Hunting Means To Me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.