Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game Tracker

Old 07-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Game Tracker

Has anyone used this device with a string that attaches to your arrow. Should you mount it with their bracket above your arrow or just screw it in the stabilizer hole below the arrow?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Game Tracker

I forgot to ask where would the mounting bracket screw in?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive used it a couple times. i prefer to mount it to the front of the stabilizer just cause its easier. i think theres a special bracket to mount it above if you want. it works great but a few things to keep in mind. to brake the spool in take 2 or 3 shots at 20 yards to make sure its on target and to loosen the spool. it will tell you to do this on the package . i never really worried about shots up to 25 yards but thats about all i have faith in it because of drag from the string weighing the arrow down and brush and branchs getting in the way. also it comes with a snap on cap to hold the string in the tracker when not using but you pop it open and it hangs down from the tracker when shooting. i would highly recommend removing the cap totaly as i had my string get caught on it while shooting at a deer. the arrow did a funny loop and landed right in front of the deer. me and the deer had a good laugh. another thing i like about the string tracker is that it helps open the deer up like a knife cutting to assist in a better trail and quicker kill. when hunting i just twist the broadhead back a turn and wrap the string and tighten the broadhead. they make special clips but this method works for me. give it a try!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks liquidorange, I will follow your suggestions and see how it works!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 AM

I' ve been using tracking strings for over 10 years and have a few tips for using them(trial & error thing). Always shoot a few times with a new spool. A new spool seems to be wound real tight at the begining but a couple of shots will get rid of this. Another thing I always do is practice with the string from an elevated position, similar to my stand height. This alows me to fine tune my sights with the string on the arrow. I have mine mounted next to my sites with a bracket I bought from game tracker. It puts the spool about 3-4 inches away from the arrow. I recomend this mount because you have less string blowing around to get caught on stuff while sitting in your tree. I recomend these things to all my buddies. The last couple deer I' ve shot have been at the end of the string or within 20 yards!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No man can tell another what to do, but, why mess with something else that can malfunction. Learn to track and trail blood. To me, shooting the deer is just the start of the fun. I love to track and trail and my wife does too. In fact, she gets madder than hades if I don' t come get her to help me track. Trailing a deer is patience and attention to small detail. I' ve not lost a deer in 20 years but I' ve spent some long hours tracking and it was great.
It seems to me that a string attached to a arrow is a lot of potential for trouble.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck and be safe.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:48 AM

I used a " Game Tracker" a couple of times back when shafts seldom passed through a deer. I found, for me, that the " Tracker" was cumbersome and useless.

How effective can they now be, now that through-and-through shots are the norm and the shaft will stick in the ground or a tree?

I have a bud that discovered one drawback of the " Tracker" that he wished, and so do I, he would have never discovered. While firing and attached arrow, the string of the " Tracker" wrapped around a finger on his left hand just above the first joint. When the string went tight, it cut through his finger to the bone, sliced a tendon, and pulled all of the flesh and meat forward. He does not have any feeling in that finger and he cannot bend it at the first joint.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow! never thought about things getting ugly like that with a string tracker. i just wanted to add that having the string tracker makes you think a lot harder about the shot. is the deer 22 yards away or 30 which would be a no shot. are there limbs or branchs in the way is there a clear shot or not. the string is not forgiving so it makes you wait for the perfect shot. i have had pass through shots and the string stays with the arrow in the ground but the string with the deer still pulls from the spool. one time it it broke off but only after the deer went 30 yards. it gave me a good indication of direction and how good the hit was. there are some bear outfitters that just about require the tracker do to the heavy cover and the fact that if the flap of fat closes the wound you will not be able to track and recover your bear. it may also give some peace of mind if your hunting in wet rainy conditions although i refuse to hunt in hard rain because of the blood trail factor. the string is not an excuse for poor tracking skills . who doesnt love tracking. i always wait 1 to 2 hours after a hit and call my brothers or hunting buddies to aid in tracking even if i know it should be an easy one. sharing the hunting experience is great like that! i dont use the string all the time so weigh your options and get hunting
Old 07-16-2003, 06:21 PM

my friends and me used them over 20 years ago. i don' t know if they were game trackers or what. but being younger and stupid and looking for a cureall for any shot good or bad and thinking you would find your deer well it did not work that way.the best thing is practice a good shot on a whitetail will be dead before you get down from your tree.needless to say we don' t use them anymore they caused more problems than you could imagin arrow placment is the key to a no track kill.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the main reasons I' m thinking about using this string tracker is on those rare occasions when I don' t have a perfect hit and pass through(LOL) with lots of blood I have a hard time trailing due to color blindness!

Quick Reply: Game Tracker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.