HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Higginson-Henry (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332712-higginson-henry.html)

bradbathome 10-26-2010 06:04 AM

Higginson-Henry

Is anyone going or has anyone been to higginson henry in western kentucky this year or past years. If you have what was your strategy and how did you do. I would like to see some pics if you were succesful. Good Luck Hunting This Year

Kybuckhunter 10-26-2010 07:53 AM

I grew up near there and used to hunt it some. I would say it has the most hunting pressure of any WMA in the state now. So many people from out of state hunt it that the locals just stopped hunting it. From the end of Oct to the end of Nov. it totally sucks. I would hunt very early or late in the year and yo umay have a better hunt.

The deer population has been down for several years. I fact, they changed the law this year that only allows for one deer to be killed per hunter....doe or buck. You wouldnt believe how many bucks they find dead that people have shot and left in the woods because the were under the 15 inch limit. If you ask me the place it total crap now and unless they can control the number of hunters and stop the killing of small bucks it will stay that way. A real shame too....it used to be a top notch place to hunt.

TFOX 10-26-2010 01:24 PM

I have hunted it 3 times this year and have seen deer everytime (as well as shot opportunities)and had no run in with other hunters.I even let a legal shooter buck walk opening weekend because it was a little borderline,especially for the opening weekend.

They did go to 1 deer only rule though.

Kybuckhunter 10-26-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 3709650)
I have hunted it 3 times this year and have seen deer everytime (as well as shot opportunities)and had no run in with other hunters.I even let a legal shooter buck walk opening weekend because it was a little borderline,especially for the opening weekend.

They did go to 1 deer only rule though.

You must have hunted it before the rush....Go the first weeks of Nov. and report back.

TFOX 10-26-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter (Post 3709798)
You must have hunted it before the rush....Go the first weeks of Nov. and report back.

I plan on it.Have a nice little honey hole that I am going to try and get into.Sit there once and had 5 does come by.Germ saw 5 book deer there a couple years ago so I suspect buck activity will pick up when the rut starts to kick in.

obsessed bowhunter 10-26-2010 08:15 PM

Gonna be there Nov. 5th through the 13th this year. Passed on a shooter last year early in my trip. It has went down hill a bit in the past few years but they have cut the quota hunt out and I haven't found near as many smaller bucks dead laying around. The one deer per hunter this year will help too. The outa staters will be more selective. Most people would rather go home with a doe than to go home empty handed and I believe that is why it has kinda went down since the 15 inch rule. Maybe I'll see some of yall out there.

Sliverflicker 10-26-2010 10:44 PM

Wish I could be there next week! Hey "T" love the avatar!

bradbathome 10-27-2010 05:12 AM

Ill be there from oct 30 - nov 6. Has anyone seen any rut activity up that way yet.

Kybuckhunter 10-27-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 3709918)
I plan on it.Have a nice little honey hole that I am going to try and get into.Sit there once and had 5 does come by.Germ saw 5 book deer there a couple years ago so I suspect buck activity will pick up when the rut starts to kick in.

I wish you luck...I hope you get a monster. One thing I have found about hunting there....don't think you have to go as deep in the woods as you can to find a big buck. If you can find a little spot near the road that gets over looked by everyone you will be surprised what deer it can hold. My buddy saw a huge buck last year in a place you would never believe would hold a deer. Although the big bucks are not nearly as numerous as they once were...there are still a few big boys that live there.