Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Explain using the 40 yard pin at 10 yard theory? >

Explain using the 40 yard pin at 10 yard theory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Explain using the 40 yard pin at 10 yard theory?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Explain using the 40 yard pin at 10 yard theory?

The 40 yard pin at 10 yards just doesnt make sense to me. Im not saying it doesnt work, im saying ive never tried cause it seems strange. If you have a 40 yard pin and a 10 yard pin on your bow, how does that work at 10 yards? Which pin, if both should (theoretically) impact the same at that distance?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by killadoe
The 40 yard pin at 10 yards just doesnt make sense to me. Im not saying it doesnt work, im saying ive never tried cause it seems strange. If you have a 40 yard pin and a 10 yard pin on your bow, how does that work at 10 yards? Which pin, if both should (theoretically) impact the same at that distance?
Think of it this way. If you shot a deer point blank using your pins say 20 yard pin, you would hit 5 to 6" low? Right? Your arrow on the rest sits 5" lower than your sight. The arrow has to rise or shot at an upward angle to hit the target at 20 yards.

So back to the example. 5" low point blank, Within 5 yards, lets say it would hit 4" low, and at 10 yards, 1.5" low. At 15yards, your probabley dead on with the 20 yard pin, maybe even high. And at 20 yards, dead on. So if your 1.5" low at 10 yards (which is not worth worrying about), you can use your 40 yard pin and be dead on.

This is one of those things that gets you in trouble, trying to think which pin at 10 yards.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone's sight plane will be different , its your responsibility to know where your 10 yard shot hits in relation to your other pins , for me its about an inch high of my 2o yard pin , at 5 yard it lines up with my 30 yard pin . through trial and error ,and alot of practice you should have this dialed in
Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry nailed it, as usual! This is one of things that used to trip up a lot of people in a 3D league I used to shoot a lot. There were usually one or two targets set up super close, <10 yards usually, and the vast majority of people would be way high, but if you follow the 40 @ 10 rule, you're all set. In the woods hunting, that's a different story with much less time to think about it in most cases.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best thing to do is shoot your target at 3, 5, and ten yards to see what an arrow does.

You never know when you have to shoot a snake at three yards you NEED to know what pin to use, it could save your life.

At three yards I use my 40 yard pin.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not going to lie if the deer is that close all of my pins are on the deer anyways.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have 5 pins on my bow: 10 yards, 20 yards, 25 yards, 30 yards, and 35 yards. All are on the mark at the appropriate distance.

Then ten yard pin is above the 20, the 20 is above the 25, and so on. It seems like if I tried shooting at 10 yards with the 35 yard pin, I am going to be hitting way high.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually for most,the 40 yard pin at 10 yards will put you way high but if you are at 3,you need to use the 40.Some may need to use it at 7 but mostly it starts to become a non factor after 5.

It is a sight parallax issue which means in a nutshell,the sight is higher than your arrow and the arrow is shot from below the line of sight.The bow is actually being pointed up slightly when sighted in so there is a point where the arrow path crosses the line of sight.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

shoot you bow and figure out what works for your setup!

i shoot my 20 pin from point blank to about 25
i aim slightly higher...only a couple of inches at under 10 yards as well as out from 20-25
Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Again, this is very person/rig specific. I was told of this 'universal truth' many years ago and was convinced to try it on a short range 3D target. Disaster.

I now have distances marked every 2 1/2 meters (for purposes of this discussion, it's very similar to yards) on my Sureloc target sight, starting at 5 m and working up to 60. Nowhere do the low-end distances even attempt to meet up with the longer distance marks.

In short, do your own experimentation. What works for your buddies may not be close for your setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.