Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
8 freaking yards! >

8 freaking yards!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

8 freaking yards!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've missed deer at steep angles with my old bow because I didn't aim low enough. I put a No Peep on my new bow and now I aim dead on where I want to hit.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't just assume your 40 yard pin will work at that distance. Practice that shot and a few others and see where you are hitting the target. You may have dropped your arm instead of bending at the waist while aiming. Using my 40 yard pin at 10 yards does not work for me at all.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Long distance pins...short distance pins...the only way to find out how you will shoot your bow in that type of scenario is practice, practice, practice. I've made a similar mistake in the past with a huge buck, but he was just coming out from underneath my stand. I completely missed him. If I had practiced that shot then I would have baggged him with a nice, clean shot.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Spike

I agree with HNI Christine....With a steep angle at 8 yards you have to aim low with your 20 yard pin because of gravity. Shooting at a downward angle makes you have to aim lower than you would if you were at ground level because of gravity..that is my understanding and my experience on shooting from a treestand.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

same thing happened to me last year when i was taking my first shot at a deer at exactly 8 yards lol right over her