HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Arrow rests, which? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332412-arrow-rests.html)

littlekid 10-21-2010 06:19 PM

Arrow rests, which?

In your honest opinion, which would be the better rest? The NAP Quiktune Freedom or the QAD Ultra-Rest Hunter. Both are in my price range, and I know they should be an improvement (I believe) to the TM style rest (golden key futura) I've been using for years (I haven't had a problem with it, but am wondering about upgrading). Any suggestions are much appreciative.

eerdog 10-21-2010 07:14 PM

I bought a Apache and like it real well. No experience with your choices.

BGfisher 10-22-2010 04:44 AM

After many years (decades really) of shooting compounds here is my thought on rests; and I've used many different styles including drop aways.

Drop aways have become popular because so many people don't know how to tune their equipment to alleviate fletching contact with the rest. That and these shorter, higher profile vanes being used (Blazers, eg.).

If you are shooting a prong style or other conventional rest and can tune your equipment so there is no fletching contact issues then there is no need for a drop away other than to satisfy your need to part with money and/or impress other people.

I have found, after trying 9 different droppers, that the bow can gain some speed due to less friction, but it is very minimal. Some pitfalls of drop aways are that they msut be set up with proper timing so that they "drop" in time for the fletching to clear, but not so fast that they don't support the arrow. Once set up they work well so long as your string/cable(s) don't change length (creep or stretch). If the string cable stretch then this alters the timing of the rest as does any slippage of the cord attached to the dropper. These aren't major issues if you happen to know how or learn how to adjust them, but just some food for thought.

A conventinal rest such as your QT or something like a Star Hunter are pretty simple. You mount them to the bow, adjust them where you want them, and tune the bow/arrow combination to get the best arrow flight and fletching clearance. Once this is achieved all you need do is shoot your equipment.

If you ever get the chance take notice of what most of the real Pros and better target shooters have n there bows. In most cases you're going to see some sort of blade or other simple rest. There's a reason for this. Complete simplicity. Once tuned and locked down nothing can change because there are the least moving parts. Most apply the idea of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

littlekid 10-24-2010 03:22 PM

Thank You BG. You've just answered the question I've been asking myself "Why do I need a new rest, i.e. drop-away, if my current set-up will "drive tacks" with both field and hunting heads(I'm constantly having to reflech my arrows when I'm done practicing); so long as my release/form is correct.

Cannonw24 10-24-2010 03:28 PM

Man I'm telling you that there is no better arrow rest than the QAD Ultra rest.

littlekid 10-25-2010 03:50 PM

Cannon,
Not discounting the advantages of a drop-away rest, i.e. QAD Ultra, is the money spent worth it when my current set-up is performing? Believe me, if I could get my hands on a Bohnard(sp?) Rest I'd have it on my bow(they do "gum-up" easily though), but I just can't get my head around the idea of spending $60-$130 for a rest when my current set-up is performing as needed with out fault or extra moving parts (there's enough sh-t moving as it is now). Maybe I'm just to 'old-school' to spend the money. Thanks again for the reply.

SPIKEHORN11 10-25-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cannonw24 (Post 3708494)

That's what I use, Don't plan on switching anytime soon.

BGfisher 10-27-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cannonw24 (Post 3708494)

I see comments like this al the time and wonder..........just how many and what other rests have you used for comparison?

kid, I'm not trying to say that you or anybody should not shoot a drop away. Just that you have now stated that your present setup is a tack driver and gives you no problems, right? Sounds like you may have answered your own question.

And for what it's worth most drop away rests are in that $60-$130 range. I know. I have my share---tucked away in a drawer.

littlekid 10-28-2010 03:19 PM

You're most correct BG, I answered my question due to your response. I now realize the enjoyment of archery, is not entirely, hitting the target, but the process it takes to successfully hit said target (i.e. tuning, technique, and consistancy). Thank you again for making me realize this.

wvnimrod 10-28-2010 05:11 PM

RIP-CORD for me!